Chapter 1: Park edited

Wet. Cold and wet.

Slowly the sensation caused shivers down my spine.

It was raining, a lazy slow drizzle.

I didn’t recognise any of the people walking by. The buildings that surrounded the park also looked unfamiliar.

I got up from the wooden bench and started walking towards the entrance of the park.

My legs felt heavy and dizziness clouded my mind.

Where was I? What happened?

The last thing I remembered was sitting behind my desk in the lab and analysing my data.

How did I get here?

I looked down. I was wearing my coat.

Where was my bag?

I turned around and looked at the wooden bench. My red backpack was lying on top of it.

Relieved, I walked back to get it. I opened the bag and took my phone out.

Damnit."Battery empty.

Now what?

I walk back to the entrance and asked a youth that was walking by where I was.

"Pardon, weet u waar ik ben?"

He looked at me funnily and answered: "Sorry, I can't understand you."

What?

"Sorry, could you help me, please. I don’t know where I am."

"This is Hyde Park, M’am."

"And, please excuse my ignorance, where is that?" I asked him.

He looked at me confused. "London!"

This doesn't make any sense. Why am I in England?

How did I get here?

Why don't I remember anything?

"Can I please use your phone? I am lost and my battery is dead. I’ll compensate you for the costs.” I ask the boy.

I try to keep the panic down, my first priority is getting home and then I can start worrying about what happened to me.

"Sure." the boy responded.

I checked whether there was any money in my wallet. There was.  Thank God.

The boy handed over his phone and I dialled my mother's number.

After three rings she picked up.

"Mirthe, is that you? Thank God."

"Mum. I am in London. I just woke up sitting on a bench. I don't know what happened."

My mother started to cry.

"You have been gone for a week. Nobody knew where you were. We couldn't find you. I filed you as a missing person!"

What? A week? I have been gone for an entire week?

"Honey, please go to the Dutch embassy. I'll book a ticket to come get you.”

"Okay. I'll go online as soon as I am in the Embassy". My laptop was still in my bag.

"I'll be there ASAP, hang on, everything is going to be okay."

My mother hung up and I returned the phone.

"Thank you for letting me use your phone. Could you please give me directions to the embassy?"

 "I'll do better, I'll bring you there", the boy said frowning. "My name is Malcolm".