Chapter 11: Dragon Training!

We go two weeks forward, and Sharptooth has learned a lot!

"Sharptooth! Where are you buddy?" I walked upstairs, to see if he was on his sleeping stone. Nope, not here... and I turned around. Suddenly I heard his call, witch I could recognize out of a thousand Nadder calls. I ran outside, and saw Sharptooth. But not just anywhere. He was on top of our neighbor's roof! "Sharptooth, how did you end up there?" I said. He looked at me, and sat down. "So now I guess I have to get you off there?" I said, and I walked to their barn. I climbed up there, and jumped to the wooden skid, that was sticking out of their house. I pulled myself up, and balanced on the roof. But just when I wanted to take Sharptooth, he jumped of the roof. "NO, SHARPTOOTH!" Shocked I watched the place where he jumped off the roof, waiting for the sound of a dragon hitting the ground. But it didn't come. Instead, I heard the sound of flapping wings. A little horn came above the roof, followed by the rest of his head. I could not believe my eyes! Sharptooth was flying! "Sharptooth, how did you do that?" I asked. Suddenly I realized that I was fifteen feet above ground. Ok, how am I gonna get myself off here? Same way down as up? I thought. I walked to the end of the roof, to the skid, and held on to it. I let myself down slowly, and took a deep breath. Ok, don't think, just do. it's just gonna be a nine foot drop... I held my breath, and let go. I landed safely, and ran to the front of my neighbors house. "Sharptooth, come here buddy" Sharptooth flew toward me, and landed on my shoulder. "Boy, you are getting heavy!" I walked to our house, and grabbed my fishing rod. It was time to give Sharptooth a fish again. I walked to the beach, when Sharptooth flew off my shoulder again, but he kept flying this time, and flew above me. He looked down to me and came closer. He gave a little squeak, and flew away. Never mind, he is gonna come back... He must have known where we were going, 'cause when I walked to the fishingspot, he already was there. He had something in his claws, but I couldn't see what, because of the distance. I came closer, and saw what it was. He had caucht his own fish! I, again, could not believe my eyes. "Sharptooth, good boy!" I said while taking the fish. I washed the fish in the water, and gave him to Sharptooth. "Here you go!" He swallowed the fish in one piece, and jumped on my shoulder again. Together we walked back home.

"John!" I turned around, and saw hiccup. "Hey hiccup, how are you doing?" "I'm great, how are you?" "I am really good, listen, Sharptooth just caught his fist fish!" "Impressive!" "Yeah right, He learned to fly somehow!" "Well, that's good news! Come with me for a second ok?" Together we walked to the academy. "But Astrid, how can you resist my manliness?" "Snotloud, is that a firework on your helmet?" *Screams like a girl* "AAAAH Get it off get it off!" "You were saying?" Astrid said laughing. "Hey guys! Something good happened!" hiccup said. Fishleggs, Tuffnut and Ruffnut came out of the cages in the academy."What happened? Did they blow something?" Tuffnut said. "Yeah, that would be good!" Ruffnut said. "No, he didn't blow anything! His dragon learned to fly!" "Well, that is early, even for a Nadder! Two weeks?" Fishleggs said. "Yeah, but it's a fact it happened. And as you know, we could use a new rider, don't you think?" Everyone muttered a bit. "Well, I think John is the man for the job." "But he has no dragon knowledge!" Fishleggs said. "And that is why we are gonna help them. John, would you like to be our New Rider in training?" I was stunned for a second. "If I would like? I would love to!" "Well, than we have a new member!" hiccup said. The other riders came toward me, and congratulated me. "Looks like you took good care of you Nadder there, John." Astrid said. "Yeah, I sure did!" "Yeah whatever, just make sure not to be in my way!" Snotloud said. "Snotloud!" "What hiccup, just giving... A suggestion..." "Great job John!" Fishleggs said. "Great job bud!" Hiccup said. "Now, since you are member of our academy, you have to study, and follow our lesions." "Great, when do we start!" "Well, technically we were already started..." Fishleggs said. "Why don't you join us?" Hiccup said. "Yeah, sure!" We all walked inside.

"Today is about dragon attacks!" Fishleggs said. "According to Bork's papers, dragons are known to make some sort of low sound, when they are planning an attack on, for instance, intruders. This sound cannot be heard by humans, but all dragons know what it means. Most of the times, it is also used as a warning signal for the intruder." After one hour, Fishleggs was done with talking. "Well, that is it for today! You can all go home, except John." "YEAH!" Ruffnut screamed, while she ran outside. Everyone left, except hiccup and Fishleggs. "Well john, since you are now a member of our academy, you of course have some homework to do. Here is our best kept secret. The book of dragons. All we know about all dragons we know of. Well... Except the Nightfury, we have to update it. Fishleggs is our leading member on dragon knowledge, and he will give you your exam in three weeks. In that time, you must read and learn the Book of Dragons. If you succeed, you will be our seventh rider!" He gave me the huge book, and I took it. "Do you think it's safe to give the book in the hands of a stranger?" Fishleggs whispered. "I don't think so, I know so." Hiccup whispered back. "Come with me, Sharptooth!" I said, and I walked out of the academy."

"Is that the book you want, Alvin?" "Yes, it is. But who is that boy? I have never seen him before... Send some spies after him, to find out who he is, and how I can get the book from him.' "Yes Alvin, right away!"