Liege Lord

3rd Person's POV

"Your shaving mirror is useless." Kenna says, as she prepares for the day using Bash's shaving mirror.

"We'll have your dressing table and mirror brought in." Bash adds.

"And where would they go? I don't understand why I couldn't stay in my old chambers." She asks.

"Because you're married."

"Yes, I know. The king's bastard, no less, when I asked for a man of title."

"The king gave me one.The "Master of Horse and Hunt?" Kenna scuffs.

"That's something Henry made up."

"It comes with no wealth, no land. The title I was expecting was the Duke of Anjou, with a château in Anjou, with a suite of rooms in Anjou."

"You act as though this were my fault. I'm no happier about it than you."

"You? What do you have to complain about? You're now married to a beautiful woman of noble birth."

"Who's notorious for sleeping with my father. I see no awkwardness there." Bash says.

"Yes, well... it's all in the past."

"Is it? We both know Henry. We know he enjoys the privileges of kingship. As you enjoy the privileges of... whatever it is a relationship with my father can get you."

"You make it sound as though I'm the most self-centered woman in France."

"Oh, I can't say that. I haven't met all the women in France." Bash says.

"Fine. Then all I care about is me. And all you care about is Eliana. I'm not jealous, truly. But a love like that, could destroy both of our lives." Kenna whispers.

"She's forbidden to Marry. It's in the past."

"All right, yes, I see your point." She says.

"We both need to keep our pasts in the past. This is our life now, Kenna. It's not what we chose, but we're married before king and God, till death."

"I won't pretend I love you, but... we should probably start liking each other at least." Kenna adds.

~

Eliana's POV

As Francis and Mary open their wedding gifts in the throne room, I watch as the noble people kneel down before them as they rest the gift by their feet and walk away.

"Oh..." I say, gasping.

"Oh! Oh! I'm so sorry, Your Majesty." A servant said, as she spilled some of the wine on my dress.

"It's all right." I say.

"Wait a moment, then follow me out." She whispered in my ear.

Walking slowly out of the room, I meet up with the servant out in the corridor.

"There's something you should know."

"Why should I believe a word that you say? I know you're one of Catherine's ladies-in-waiting." I say.

"I am one of Catherine's ladies. One of her special ladies. They call us the 'Flying Squad.' We're trained and polished and sent to sleep with important noblemen and report back to her. Haven't you ever wondered why she knows so very much? It can't all be from servant gossip."

"Well, I'm sure you're well rewarded for making love to men and then betraying them." I say.

"We are. This time, the queen has overstepped. She asked me to seduce the king, to remove him from Penelope's influence and see that he was engaged with someone that Catherine could control."