Chapter 4 - History

Almost three hours into the school day people were still staring and whispering about the event that occurred two days ago. Despite the uncomfortable circumstance of people speculating behind my back, the day was kind enough to offer me some amusement in English class. Not only was Mrs Smith trying to avoid me at all costs, her nature and approach to the lesson was rather angelic and peaceful in comparison to her usual means of instruction. I guess that was one good thing that resulted from the apparent anxiety attack ordeal.

Recess went by in a flash and I still hadn't perked up the courage to confide in Charlotte about my nightmare.

Casually making our way to our separate History classes, Charlotte was going on and on about her science club experiment and, while pretending to listen, I was trying to find the right words to describe my nightmare to her. But how do you explain to your closest friend that you are worried about becoming a monster?

I found a seat at the very front of the class - a regular occurrence. Teachers would think of me as a keen student for being situated at the front, whereas my fellow students recognized me as a latecomer, with absolutely no interest in History. Still waiting for the teacher to arrive, I attempted to ease my concerns.

"Finish the whole book first before jumping to such a ridiculous conclusion!" I thought to myself. "So far you have done nothing to give yourself a reason to think that you are capable of hurting people. Finish the book and then confide in Ethan and Charlotte." I was almost beginning to think that the doctor's 'anxiety' prognosis wasn't so far off the mark.

After five minutes of waiting for Mrs Hansen, amid the staring and murmuring I knew that was taking place behind me, Mr O'Hara rushed through the classroom doorway and was followed in by another man.

The man was rather tall, muscular and professionally attired; his mahogany eyes were accentuated by his short, wavy brown hair. It would be fair to say that he was rather attractive. The diminished noise level and sudden whispering amongst the girls since he had entered the classroom supported the summation.

"Unfortunately, Mrs Hansen has been detained and will be for quite some time. Her son, as you know, has been recovering from a car accident and she is the only member of the family with the means to assist him during his rehabilitation. At this stage, most probably for the next month, Mr Lawson will be your teacher for History. Please make Mr Lawson feel welcome in our school community." Mr O'Hara clapped and encouraged us all to accompany him. Following the welcoming applause, Mr O'Hara

concluded his speech. "I'll now hand them over to you, Mr Lawson, and get back to my meeting."

"Thank you, Mr O'Hara." Mr Lawson spoke with an air of confidence and refinement. "So, to History. It is indeed a great passion of mine and I am privileged to be sharing my passion for History with you." Stephanie Briggs was almost passing out in the back row. I had a suspicion that I wouldn't be sitting in the front row anymore. "I've been informed by your History teacher that you were concluding studies on World War II. Now, according to the requirements for this year, you are supposed to study the French Revolution and briefly address Napoleon." Prior to speaking again, Mr Lawson walked away from the board, removed his glasses and leant against the teacher's desk in an incredibly cavalier manner. "These areas are important to cover and we will cover them, but, just so we have an understanding, I was considering teaching our own history and aspects of this country that are relevant to who and what we are today. That way, I get to know you, you get to know me and I think that you'll find History quite an enjoyable subject."