Chapter 15 - Unexpected.

Start from the beginning

An appointment was made for the following day at 3.00pm. Michelle placed the phone down. Almost immediately, it rang. She picked it up.

"Hi love!" It was Paul, "We've been invited to dinner with John and Cynthia. I'll pick you up about 4.00pm. Stick a few things in a bag incase we end up staying the night. And can you let Rose know too?"

"Ok – but Paul?"

"Yes love?"

"We'll definitely be coming back tomorrow morning won't we? I've got an appointment with Richard booked for 3.00pm."

"Definitely – you can't let Richard down. I'll have to go now, really busy. See you later love, I love you." With that he was gone.

Michelle put the phone down and groaned. "Paul wants us to stay over at John's tonight while those two do some work!"

Rose looked suprised at her reaction. "I thought you liked Cynthia?"

"Oh I do!," said Michelle wearily, "but how can I hide morning sickness in someone else's house?"

Paul and John arrived on time to pick her up. John loaded her bag into the car whilst she climbed in beside Paul.

 He looked at her. "You looked all washed out and tired love, are you alright?"

"Just not feeling my best," she said with false brightness, "that's why I need to see Richard tomorrow."

"We can cancel tonight Paul if Michelle's not too good?" John eyed them both through the rear view mirror

"No, no I'll be OK," Michelle burst out, "Please just try not to make it an all night session so we're late back tomorrow! You know what you two are like when you get going."

"No danger of that Michelle," said John, "We're booked in the studio from 1.00pm tomorrow."

As the car pulled onto the driveway of John's house, Michelle could see his wife Cynthia stood on the front steps. Next to her was the couple's three year old son, Julian. When John and Paul got out of the car, Julian came running to them.

"Unca Paul, Unca Paul," cried the small voice, making Michelle smile, "Come see my sand!"

Paul crouched down so that he was on the same level as Julian. "You've got a sand pit? Wow! Come and show me then."

Michelle watched as Julian took Paul's hand and led him through the house. Just outside the French windows was a wooden sandpit, filled with a range of toy cars and trucks. Paul knelt down next to Julian as the little boy sat in his sand pit.

"Can I play too?" he asked.

The little boy considered his toys briefly then handed Paul a small digger which he began to drive around the sand in a game. Michelle watched him as Cynthia went to get them all a drink. Paul looked at her and winked, she smiled and thought about the child she was most likely to be carrying. Maybe it could work for them after all?  Cynthia returned and handed Michelle a cup of coffee. Michelle went to sip it but felt herself  heave at the smell. She hurriedly put the cup down and stepped out to Paul on the patio and breathed deeply the fresh air. The nausea was still there. She tried to gulp back the urge to vomit but could feel herself failing. She ran to where she knew there was a downstairs cloakroom and vomited several times. When the wave seemed to pass, she sat on the closed toilet seat and tried to calm herself. She pressed her weary head into her hand and willed herself to put on a brave face. She felt worse than ever and longed to be at home in her own bed. There was a knock on the door. She gulped some water, washed her face and unbolted the door. It was Cynthia, looking concerned.