chapter 4: The test

"T-test?" I repeated. 

"Don't worry. It won't hurt. As long is if you do it correctly of cours," Da told me. 

He handed me a yellow piece of paper. 

"Read it."  

"Lives without a body, hears without ears, speaks without a mouth, to which air alone gives birth."

Da grinned, "It's truly you, isn't it? Only our savior would be able to read it. It was all written on this piece of paper, you see. I don't know if you have ever heard of paper before? It's what peopled used to write on. 

The paper was found a long time ago. At that moment it went all down hill with this world. Vicar had just taken his place on the throne. The only thing he thought about was making money and becoming popular. He didn't give a damn about the environment, nor for the people who did actually care about it. 

'Keep courage, the better will come,' was written on another paper. It brought so much hope. Elvabelle started to protest against Vicar. The king himself wasn't very happy with that, so he decided to make himself immortal by letting him be cursed by a witch. The witch told him she couldn't make him completely immortal. She had to give one person the power to kill him, to keep everything in balance. The king refused the proposal and forced her to make him live forever. So she did. After she had done that, she went to a man and gave him to power to kill the king. The king found out and was furious. He got both the witch and the man killed. The which had already told the man that the king would come to send him to his grave, so the man poured his powers into a sword. Winterhorn. The sword disappeared. The man also left a note, saying that the person who could read and solve the riddles  would be the savior. 

And, surprise surprise, you can."

"Of cours I can, can't you?"

"No, this language found death centuries ago." 

"But, but, so, you want me to save you from what exactly?" 

"To save us from Vicar, the king of Dogmoor. He tries to massacre our kind so he can have al the dragons for himself."

"Dragons!?"

"Yes, of cours, where else did you think the rain came from?"

I raised my shoulders, not knowing what this girl was talking about.

"When dragons fly over, they make it rain so they don't get sunburned," she explained as if it was some general truth.

"Why does he want the dragons and how do we stop him?"

"He wants their eggs," da started to explain, "when you eat enough shells you will become truly immortal. Even Winterhorn won't be able to stop him. He ingested many of them already so he's very strong but we can still stop him if we hurry."

"Where do I find Winterhorn?"

"That's were the map is for, my son. He handed me an ancient piece of perkament.

"Sage will guide you, but first, dinner." Sage's father stood up from his wobbly chair and disappeared in what I supposed was the kitchen.

"Sit down," Sage instructed me while pointing at the large wooden table in the middle of the room. She acted as if they hadn't just told me I was some kind of super hero.

I looked at my watch to see if it was 18:00 already but the truth was horrible, the hands were gone. Panic started to grow inside me and I started breathing heavy. No time, no structure, chaos.

"You're allright, Thomas?" Sage asked.

I shook my head, "What time is it?"

"Time? A bit before sunset I guess, why?"

"I need time, I need structure, chaos."

"Chaos?"

"Yes."

"Why are you worrying about something as unimportant as structure? Life is chaos, get used to it."

I took a seat, still breathing in and out way too fast. Sage noticed, "We have a sundial, do you think that would help?"

I nodded and Sage walked to the other side of the room, opened one of the blue painted cupboards and handed me the small, golden, watch looking like instrument. "You can only use it outside though."

"It's allright," I said while thankfully placing the sundial on the table.

"Soup!" Her father yelled while walking in. He placed the black cauldron on the table and handed me a plate. He scooped it full with a dark green mass.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Jatiquat soup, what else?" her father asked. I took a small sip of it, it was delicious.

"I'm Basil," he introduced himself. "Now tell me, do you like the soup?"

"It's fantastic."

"Oh well thank you, I used my special ingredient, Momisbi."

"Oh yes, that gives a delicious taste," I answered, not knowing what Momisbi was.

He smiled and sat down with us, "I'm glad you like it, my wife loved it as well."

"Where is she?"

"Death," was all he said. I didn't know what to say anymore, what do you tell someone who you just met to support him? Luckily he didn't blame me for it.

"She was killed by the men of Vicar a year ago, together with my two sons. Me and Sage fled and found this."

____________________________________________________________________________________

So guys, I've updated the thing (and also succeed for my exams) I hope you liked it and don't forget to vote and/ or comment ;)