chapter 2: The end of the beginning

Still crying I ran out of the cafeteria. I felt how the eyes pierced trough my back. This was one of the moments I wished for an invisibility cloak. I pushed open the door and ran trough the hallway. I bumped on to Miss Woods.

"I -I'm Sorry," I mumbled.

"What's wrong, Thomas?" she asked.

"Nothing," I lied. I didn't dare to look her in the eyes because, A, I was lying, and B, I just didn't dare to look anyone in the eyes. I can't explain why.

"What's wrong, Thomas?" she repeated. 

I opened my pencil case and showed her the broken pieces of dragon. I felt how my hands were shaking. Speaking was something I was unable to do at that moment. 

"Who did this?" her voice sounded a bit angry. 

I stuttered some inaudible noises. 

 "Do you want to go back to the room?"

I shook my head but she grabbed me by the arm and leaded me to the room. On our way, she asked one of the art students to try and repair my Chinese dragon. Whit a heavy feeling in my stomach I handed her the pieces. 

"I will take good care of it," she assured me.

I dropped down on one of the soft chairs. Still incapable to look at my teacher. 

"You can come back when you're ready, Thomas, do you want me to call your mom?" 

I nodded. I wanted my mom to come and take me home. When I got there, I could escape to the place I wanted to be so, so badly. I had often dreamed of this place. It was a place where people would welcome me, where I was a hero. I imagined a cheering crowd, waiting for me outside as I appeared from my balcony. 

I had a plan on how to get there. It was risky but if you don't take risks, you won't get anywhere.

The door opened again.

"Thomas, your mom is coming to pick you up. Do you have all your stuff with you?" 

I nodded and showed miss Woods my backpack. She walked in and closed the door behind her. "Don't let them get you down? Okay?" She placed her hand under my chin and lifted my face up. For a brief moment our eyes met and I saw this twinkle. A twinkle of despair. As if she knew what I was up to.

I nodded. They got me down a long time ago, several times. I had given up on rising back up again. Their was no point in staying here. No one would miss me. I was the weird kid and I would always be.

"What kind of dragon did you draw on the board?" Miss Woods asked me.

"A Romanian dragon," I told her. Talking about dragons made me a bit more happy. 

"They have poisonous pins on their tale and they can fly with a speed up to a hundred fifty miles per hour. They eat small animals; such as mouses and rabbits but sometimes they also grab a sheep or cow. The female dragon lays three eggs a year. These eggs are made out of gold, all the eggs are." I kept on talking and talking to her. I didn't know if she was really listening, but I enjoyed the fact that she didn't laugh or interrupt me. Someone knocked on the door and my mom's face appeared. "You're ready to go dear?" she asked. I nodded, shook hands with Miss Woods and grabbed my backpack. "Oh, no, wait," I said. "my dragon."

"I will bring him to your house when he's finished, allright?"

"That's fine," my mother said before I could protested.

"What happened?" mom asked.

"The dragon broke."

"How did that happen? You always take good care of your dragons."

I didn't answer anymore, I was bad at lying, especially against my mom. The truth would be too hard. I couldn't let the words get out of my mouth. I knew I never would. It was as if someone had placed a rock inside my throat and every time a wanted to talk about the bullying the rock would block my voice my windpipe. 

When I came home, I went straight up to my room. I closed the door behind me and placed myself behind the desk. I got out the letter and read one last time trough it. This was the best way to express why I was leaving. I put the letter in an envelope and shove it under my pillow. They would surely find it there.

I got up and went to the bathroom. I opened the small, white closet left from the mirror and got out all the medicines I could find. I carried them to my room and spread them out on my bed. I got out my water bottle and put as many pills in my mouth as could fit. I swallowed them and took some more. It didn't take long before I started to feel dizzy and my sight became a blur. I dropped the water bottle on the ground and laid down on the bed. 

I heard how Denis walked in. "Thomas? You allright?" I heard him asking. 

It was too late. I didn't answer anymore. I closed my eyes and felt happy to finally leave.

------------------------------------------------------

So, what did you think? Let me know in the comments and don't forget to vote if you liked it