chapter 20 beer's a thing

Start from the beginning

"sure thing. starbucks, the one near our facility." i suggest.

"you're on." she says before hanging up.

as i put my phone back into my back pocket, i head to my computer, searching for idaho's contact. and as i look through, i find his mobile, and call it.

*ring ring*

"idaho speaking." i hear a voice on the other end say.

"agent idaho, this is hunter." i answer.

"oh, sir. is there anything i can do for you?" he asks.

"yes, 1, call me hunter, and 2, meet me at the starbucks near our facility."

---

i drive my corolla to starbucks and i find both idaho and izzy already there. they're chatting away as if they were there purely by coincidence. lovely.

as i walk out the car, i take a package with me. starbucks coffee? not my thing. an array of alcohols? hell yeah.

"hey izzy!" i call out.

"idaho!" i continue.

"hunter. what's with the bottles?" izzy asks, pointing to my bag full of bottles.

"oh, nothing, just prefer beer over coffee." i say, trying to brush off the fact that i had 3 full bottles in the last hour.

"agent hunter, why did you call me?" idaho asks.

"bloody hell idaho! i told you to just call me hunter!" i shout at him.

"you called him?" izzy asks, half upset half happy that idaho was here.

"oh kay, now, we came here for a rational and civilised beer picnic, i'll be in the park, you 2 can go buy some muffins or scones if you want." i reply, avoiding the topic of calling idaho.

"okay. we'll see you there." izzy says before walking in starbucks with idaho.

there's a pretty decent park behind starbucks and i settle for one of the bigger trees near a bench. i put the bag down, letting it lean on the bench and take one of the opaque bottles out of the bag. they're all identical with liquors ranging from vodka to gin, it's almost like a lucky dip.

and i take a full gulp from my bottle.

the liquid burns my mouth and throat, stinging my cheeks. it has a bitter sour flavour, causing me to cringe a little.

it's definitely whiskey.

i take a few more mouthfuls and i see izzy and idaho walking over with 2 grande lattes and a blueberry muffin.

idaho takes the latte that reads 'no milk'.

"that's disgusting." i say, pointing to his latte.

"i'm lactose intolerant, THAT'S disgusting." idaho answers.

"i bet you're not alcohol intolerant." i say before passing the bag to him.

"pick one." i prompt him.

"lucky dip?" he asks, before picking out a bottle.

he takes a good gulp of the drink. after the bottle leaves his lips, his eyebrows draw together and he puts the bottle on the grass.

"what is this?" he asks, still cringing at the bottle.

i pick the bottle from the ground and take a mouthful. my reaction is no different from his.

"my 1979 brandy, definitely brandy." i say, before passing the bottle back to him.

"how's the latte?" i ask izzy.

"honestly, i'd rather have some of that." she says putting her latte down.

"be my guest." i hold the bag to her.

she picks one and takes a small sip, being much more cautious than idaho and i.

"this is good vodka." she says, smiling.

"you know your alcohol." i compliment.

"if your dad worked at a brewery, you'd know." she says, smiling.

we sit there all afternoon, laughing over the most stupidest things, consuming more alcohol than we should. and as the sun went down, we went our separate ways.

A/N-

bobbi morse- adrianne palicki

lance hunter- nick blood

isabelle hartley- lucy lawless

idaho- wilmer calderon