Switching Sides

I was late. Late ako sa pinaka importateng araw sa buhay ko. I was graduating high school. Sige, maybe hindi to ang pinaka-pinakang importante na araw sa buhay ko, pero I was still late. I shot out of bed, walang pakealam kung naga tinig ang alarm clock ko, and I raced to the bathroom. It was only seven thirty-two in the morning and I was already stressing. School starts in approximately twenty-three minutes, at marami pa akong gawin. I had to check my graduation gown, finish my buhok at makeup, pick an extra outfit, get cleaned up, eat- tapos may ten minute drive pa ako from home to school. I took a quick shower, did my hair, makeup and brushed my teeth. Aga aga pa lang at na pawis na ako. As I was about to walk out the door and grab my gown that was hanging on the side of my body salamin, narirnig ko ang alert na may text sa akin. It was a text from my friend, Parker Halls. Sabi niya,"Olivia! Where are you? I heard they closed down your usual route para sa construction. We're starting in a bit, so bilisan mo. Please lang,"

I took in a deep breath and tried to calm myself. The next route to school would take a little over twenty minutes, at sure na sure magiging late ako. I was already starting to develop a headache. I was so screwed. Somehow, as I was rubbing my forehead in frustration, I lost footing and fell into the direction of the mirror. I tried to save myself from tumbling over by holding on to the mirror, but my fingers met a soft surface instead. My eyes flew open to see my forearm being pulled into the silver liquid that should have been glass. Paano to? I thought to myself. Makikita ko pa rin ang reflection ko sa salamin, pero medyo distorted siya dahil sa ripples that were stretching around my arm. I wanted to investigate further, so hinirapan ko ang salamin at inababa ko ang isa pa kong kamay. Subukin ko magagalaw sa salamin, pero all it did was pull me in closer, hanganng naabutan ang surface ng salamin ang noo ko. Before I knew it, I was seeing stars.

    Na gising ako sa isang lugar na hindi familiar sa akin, given the fact that my vision was still blurry and my surroundings where scarily dark, pero ang voice that I heard behind the door was definitely familiar. I realized that I was probably in a hospital, as my senses sharpened I could hear the beeping of the monitor and smell the sterile in the air. The only thing off was that the walls weren't white like they usually are in hospitals. They were black. Nakakatokot, yes, pero naalis ang lahat ng confusion ko habang pumasok si Parker. His eyebrows were creased and worry flashed in his green eyes as he approached the seat in the corner ng room where a backpack was sitting. Parang hindi pa siya pumansin sa fact na gising na ako until I cleared my throat. His head snapped to me and his eyes widened, he walked over and engulfed me in a lung crushing hug that had me coughing loads shortly after. "Sorry, Liv. Namiss kita eh." He said, grabbing a bottle of water from the bedside table and handing it to me. My whole body stiffened as I took a sip. "Ano nangyari?" I asked. "Your tattoo came in, but it hit you so hard that you've been in a coma for two days," Tattoo? Coma?

"Huy, walang nakakatawa diyan sa sinasabi mo. Tell me what really happened.'' I urged because I didn't have time for this. "Did I miss graduation?''

Parker frowned. "That's what really happened. And graduation was over two years and three months ago. And yes, I've been counting." He crossed his arms over his chest. As I took a good look at him, his demeanor really did change. He looked older, muscular, and sharper. He had a tattoo on his wrist that said something I couldn't quite make out. The rest of it was covered by the watch he had on. "You have a tattoo?'' I said, reaching over to hold his wrist. He flicked it away from my reach and held it with his hand. I tried to cover up the wounded look on my face with a weak smile. His guarded expression softened and he said, "Hindi pa ako humanda." It was my turn to frown. "Humanda sa?''

Parker raised an eyebrow. "The doctor didn't say anything about memory loss, but you know I like to tell the story,"

"What sto-" I was cut short by Parker, who exclaimed in the loudest voice possible; "ONCE  a person reaches the age in which fate wants him or her to find his or her soulmate, it will be written on their wrist. On the right wrist for the boys and left wrist for the girls," He gestures to the bandage on my wrist. I haven't noticed this before, pero the ink peeking out of my bandage and on my skin is outlined with a red glow. "Kailan ka magiging handa?" I asked him, looking up from my wrist. A small smile crept upon his lips and he said, "Whenever you are, Olivia. Sabay nalang tayo mag tingin."

    Ilang oras na ang nakalipas hanggang na discharge ako sa ospital. Habang ako'y hihinaty sa authorization galing kay Parker at ang doctor ko, I was contemplating on what could've happened. Hindi to possible! Paano ba ang dalawang taon ang nakakalipas na kung ako'y nakastress noong umaga lang? At  wala man akong kaalaman tungkol sa soulmate-soulmate na yan. As far as I'm concerned, you have to look for your soulmate, if you ever find one. All my thoughts were cut short as parker walked into the room and told me we were going home. Alam ko ba kung ano talaga anghome sa universe nito? At this point, Parker was helping me up and helping me pack my things. The ceiling and walls were colored black, tiles white, and had white lights and furniture. The bed was positioned in the middle of the room and to its sides were all of the medical equipment. There was a small couch and a chair off to the corner, and the bathroom was facing opposite to the couch and chair. Mayroong converations na putol putol sa pagitan ng ako at si Parker. I asked him how his life was going, and all he did was smile and nod. He asked me what it was like to be in a coma and I told him that I just remembered waking up.

Naglakad kami sa elevator, lampas sa front desk and into Parker's car."Liv," He sighed as he opened the passenger's door for me. He turned to move to the driver's seat, plopped into the seat and ran his fingers through his brown hair in frustration. "Park? What's wrong?" I asked after I latched my seatbelt on and turned to face him. "You gave me the worst scare. Your roommate found you on the ground on a bed of glass. The bathroom mirror was busted. Sure ka na wala mo may na tandaan?" He said and turned to me. My eyes widened in realization. Paano ba kung yung alternate universe me ay nasa kalagayan ko? Naglilito siya ba katulad sa akin? Meron pa bang isang ako? I shook my head furiously enough to make it spin. "Pramis, Parker. Wala talaga. Baka na slide lang ako sa tile at na tamaan ko ang salamin." Parker looked at me incredulously, shook his head and started the car. "Iba ka talaga, Olivia Hart." 

    The ride 'home' was quiet, but Parker and I listened to some Taylor Swift and sang along. It was fun pero ang bigat ng igting ay lumamang ng good vibes natin.  We pulled into the driveway and Parker opened the door for me. I stepped out while he looked around with a careful look on his face. When his green eyes widened, his head snapped to me. He took my wrist and pulled me towards the door of the house and hid me with his figure as he nervously unlocked the door. Once the door was open, he pushed me in and locked the door, then proceeded to drag me to his basement. Papatayin niya ako! I tried to wriggle free but this caused him to take me by the shoulders gently and quietly told me to 'shut up'. As we descended down the stairs, Parker turned the light on and sat me down on the couch. He locked the door to the basement, which was furnished with a mirror, a closet, a couch, tv, computers- kind of half tech and half leisure type of thing. His eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes were glossed over. He sat next to me and propped his elbows on his knees and buried his hands in them. For a while, he did nothing except that, stare at me and look away, which was starting to scare me. "Park? Ano baa ng nangyari?" I asked meekly. "Olivia," He looked up. "They're coming for us. We need to leave. We could probably die, so I know I need to do this. Liv, we need to find out before we run out of time." He said and gestured to our wrists. I nodded but I had no idea what was going on. Sinoba si 'they' at bakit kailangan nila papatayan kami? Parker was already undoing his watch so I rushed to rip the bandage off. I could hear banging and footsteps approach the basement. My heart dropped to my stomach and came back up to my throat.  I finished unwrapping my wrist from the front, and happily turned to Parker, ready to see who he got. Inbis na makita ko ang gniti ni Parker at ang lumiwanag ng mata niya, ako'y humarap sa isang barrel ng barril. Nabasa ang mukha ng luha si Parker, ang isang tao nahindi kailanman asahan sa likod ng trigger. Ang mata ko'y manlalakbay sa wrist niya, at ang dugo ko ay nagiging malamig. Olivia Hart. Ako ay nakakatingin sa kanya ng pagkabigla, at binuksan bibig ko na magsalita. "Park..." I took a good look at my wrist. Parker Hall. Tumutulo din ang luha sa mata ko, feeling betrayed and hurt and angry at the same time. Parker shook his head and said, "It's better this way," Tapos, may lakas na putok, at everything went dark.

    My eyes flew open and I heard laughter over to my side. I turned and found that it was Parker, holding a now empty cup. Instinctively, I jumped and my eyes widened. I looked at the clock which read 7o'clock sharp and saw that my graduation gown was still hanging on the mirror. "What's the date?" I asked him. "Why does it matter? We graduate in two days and," he stopped to look at his watch. "Three hours. Yes, I've been counting. But right now we gotta get to a party. Be ready in 10 minutes, okay? I'll wait outside." He put the cup on the nightstand and left. Panaginip lang pala yan? I thought as I stood up and went to get ready. Ipinaalala ako sa sarili ko na hindi magiging mashadong malapit sa salamin.

'