Chapter 17 - Biryani

Start from the beginning

"If you want Biryani, you should have told me. I would have cooked for you." Ammi said and I shook my head at her.

"Jee nahi! I want to make it myself. Since you two are world's best cook, just instruct me what to do, what to put in, what to cut, what to mix...I'll manage." I said and they both looked at me in disbelief.

"You want to make it? Yourself?" Ammi asked in surprise and I furrowed looking at her as I nodded my head.

"Haan. Why? Can't I?" I questioned innocently as I blinked my eyes at her and she chuckled, shaking her head.

"Of course you can!" She smiled as she caressed my cheek and I made a kissy face.

"Now get back to work!" I ordered and they raised her eyebrows at me.

"Oh hello! It's you should get to work!" Haya rolled her eyes in annoyance and I laughed out loud, pinching her cheeks.

"Naaraz mat ho! I was just kidding!" I winked and they sighed deep.

I got a rubber band from the kitchen drawer and tied my hair into a loose bun. I then took my dupatta off my neck and sling it on my right shoulder and tied it on my left waist and walked to the basin to wash my hands.

"Shall we start?" I asked as I turned towards them and they nodded their heads.

"What's the first thing I should do?" I asked dumbly and Haya laughed looking at me as she shook her head slightly.

"Wait." She said as she walked to the huge fridge at the corner of the kitchen and took out chicken meats, vegetables and few more things while Ammi walked to the cabinet and took the spices.

They put whatever they were holding on the table and Haya took a seat on the table as she took a knife and a cutting plate close to her and Ammi walked to the basin with the meats. She poured some salts into the bowl and was about to wash them and Haya was about to cut the onions and I widened my eyes in shock before I yelled out loud.

"Noooo!! Stop it!!" I almost screamed and they both jumped a little at their places out of shock and hurriedly turned towards me.

"Hawa!"

"What happened??"

They gasped and I sucked in deep breath, narrowing my eyes at them as I placed my both hands on my waist before I parted my lips.

"What are you two doing?!" I questioned, glaring at them and they blinked their eyes at me.

"I've told you I want to do everything on my own!" I made a disapproving face and they smiled sheepishly before they slowly left it. I huffed and walked to the basin and took the bowl from Ammi.

"Aap jaiye. Wahaan bethiye." I shooed her away to the table and moved the cutting plate from Haya as well.

"Now you two just sit here and tell me what to do, I'll do it!" I pointed my index finger at both of them like they were my kids and they looked up at me, blinking cutely  as they slowly nodded their heads.

"Okay." They replied shortly in innocent and I smiled, patting their heads.

"Good!" I replied as I chuckled slightly and walked to the basin again.

I cut the onions and my eyes got watery and they made a sad face looking at me when a tear rolled down my water line and I rolled my eyes, made them chuckle. Soon I finished cutting them all and Ammi told me to clean the Biryani rice. I washed the rice and soaked it with water for five minutes before I put it aside.

"Hawa now marinate the chicken pieces with lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder and red chilly powder." Ammi told and I nodded my head and started marinating it.