Chapter 8- Can You Take Control?

I'm so hypnotized, open the days, mesmerized
I'm tryna visualize you right now, keep me cool right now
I like to be optimistic, you and me, that's futuristic
We can fly high like a spaceship, zoom right now, to the moon right now

Becky G- Built For This

***

I peeked into the brown paper bag as soon as I was in the Directors office. He hadn't arrived yet, probably occupied with Agent Dale and Commander Turner along with Aiden who had yet to come back and meet me.

They both entered a second later, walking inside like they owned the place -which Zack did, technically- and demanding a report from me.

I didn't have to check to know I was wiped of any emotion as I reached my hand inside of the paper bag and pulled out a snow globe, placing it on the table.

Aiden let out a noise of approval while Zack murmured an "impressive". I turned the snow globe over and played around with the bottom before my fingers caught on to an irregular surface. I pulled, and a panel came off of the end revealing a key the size of my pinkie. Zack came over, peering over my shoulder as I fingered the key. I handed it to him and he pocketed it.

The objective was to see if I could come up with an on-the-spot plan and collect the snow globe from under Agent Dale's nose using a mask. Distract and steal.

Apparently Dale was a pretty impressive agent with a lot of skills. To bypass him was a hard task I wasn't "expected to pass as a rookie". It wasn't that hard to slip a snow globe into a paper bag and distract everyone enough to make it unnoticeable.

Rookie my face.

"I was right," Zack said, mainly to Aiden. I raised an eyebrow, waiting for any information.

Aiden turned to me with a Cheshire cat grin. "Congratulations. You have single handedly found the mole's access card for whatever organization he's working for."

I looked at the key, not completely surprised Agent August Dale was a spy for another organization. Something about him was off anyways, and if this was just a test I would have dug deeper and found out myself.

"This wasn't a test," Zack said, folding his arms. "August Dale is a mole. A big one. He's been feeding another organization information for six months."

The key didn't look anything like an access card to me. I pointed at the key with now both of my eyebrows raised. "That doesn't look like a card to me."

Aiden hummed in agreement while he stole the key from Zack's hands. He didn't look fazed at at all,and something told me he gave the key up. I probably didn't want to end up on his bad side. "That's because sweetheart, you have to look closer."

"Call me sweetheart again, and we'll see how many fingers I can break off in a minute."

"The key has something called ExcoUni on it," He continued, ignoring me. It's something one of our techies developed. Exco is like..." He trailed off, probably trying to find the right wording.

"The psychic paper from Doctor Who."

"So basically, you're telling me that this ExcoUni enables me to see whatever Dale wants me to see?" I question, leaning back against the desk. Zack nods slowly while Aiden looks at me with a bewildered expression.

"He lets you call him Dale?"

"Nope."

***

I was to spy on Dale for my first job as a consultant. They gave this as a solo, meaning I had to come up with my own plan and had to report to Zack or Aiden daily. So, I did a quick analysis of the case file I had been left with and studied up on his character.