Chapter V: Pia

After waiting for one to vacate, a seat had finally emptied. Pia slouched over the seat, gripping the edges, branding her territory.

Gazing around, she bit her lip and stroked her wrongly colored hair. She didn’t know why she hadn’t been caught sooner. She didn’t fit in. She didn’t even know where she was going.

A buzz sounded across the air-trans, splintering her reflection. The intercom voice began to state in a clear high voice, “Please join us in a noon Prime Prayer.”

Everyone bowed their head, and began to speak.

Pia quickly glanced from side to side, and then ducked her head. She mouthed random words, hoping no one would suspect that she was different.

“Miss, would you like to lead us?” Looking up, she saw a woman, one who seemed to be the same as everyone else, except for a small pin on her shirt.

Mumbling, Pia quickly stated, “Oh, no thank you,” trying to seem like she was just shy.

“But it is such a great honor! Please.” From her face, stern rather than grinning, Pia could tell that this wasn’t something she could shrug off. Rising, she focused on the woman, who nodded. Great, she thought to herself, annoyed, how am I getting out of this one? She started to run through the scenarios and solutions. None seemed like it would work. So, she took a deep breath. And then, she went off.