Bonus Chapter: Let Me Be Your Shield

Start from the beginning

"Barrett, have you ever had the pleasure of meeting Robert Sinclair's daughter?" Nichols asks and I clench my teeth together tightly.

"I don't believe I have—" His voice sounds almost amused. Isabel gives me a light elbow to the ribs and I lift my gaze towards her. She motions her head toward Barrett trying but failing to be subtle. I turn my eyes towards him, "Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you..." I say softly as my eyes meet his. A phantom smile seemed to form on his lips. He reaches out and grabs my hand surprising me, "The pleasure is all mine miss Sinclair. I can assure you."  My heart raced in my chest but I wasn't sure if it was from excitement or fear--something about his gaze seemed full of promises. 

After meeting Barrett  my whole life seemed to change quickly. Isabel made sure to bring me with her to visit the captain as much as she was able so that Barrett could see me. I enjoyed the time that I got to spend with him. He was a kind person though he was a bit serious at times—it was like having a brother but sometimes I would catch him looking at me very unlike a brother. In those moments the fear would creep back in, we weren't mates but I could tell he wanted me even if he didn't push it. Several months after meeting Barrett was promoted to the title of Gamma prime, that was a big deal for him and I was happy he'd gotten the title.

"Congratulations!" I clinked my champagne glass against his lightly shooting him with a friendly smile. I tilted the glass back to my lips and took a small sip as Barrett seemed to study my face as if he was deep in thought. Still smiling, "A penny for your thoughts?" I questioned him teasingly.

His eyes glanced to my lips momentarily before meeting my gaze, "Valerie, these past few months have been great. By now I'm sure you know that I desire you—how could you not?" I felt my smile falter a bit and I lowered my glass, focusing my attention completely on him. Barrett eased himself closer to me, reaching out and removing the drink from my hand setting it down neatly beside us. I swallowed hard as my nerves skyrocketed at the sudden change of our conversation. 

"Barrett, I don't—" He presses a finger to my lips silencing me. He pulls his hand away from my face and stares at me like I am some kind of dream come to life, "I want to mate you Valerie."

"But were aren't mates." I say quickly.

"Many people don't mate with there actual mates anymore—plus whose to say your mate is even alive. I am here and I am offering you a life of happiness with me, is that such a terrible thing?"

"Barrett—" I am once again silenced but this time by his lips crushing against mine. My eyes widen in surprise and I push my hands against him in hopes of freeing myself but he only reaches out grips my shoulders. I let out a growl of frustration before biting his lip. He pulls back quickly with a yelp of surprise.

I raise my hand and follow up my bite with a slap to his face, which further surprises him. I pull myself up from where I was seated, "I'm sorry if I made you believe I wanted something I didn't—You are my friend and I do care about you. But I am not your mate Barrett and I will never be your mate."

I watched as anger rushed through him and his expression hardened into a look of stone. His muscles tensed up and he raised a hand and point it at me, "Mark my words Valerie—If I can't have you than nobody can." He marched out of the room leaving me in fear of the promises I had seen in his eyes before he'd turned from me. 

 I lived in fear for a while but eventually I figured that Barrett had gotten over his infatuation with me and came to realize that I had been right in declining his offer to mate with me. I should have known better than to live in my own ignorance. Months later I was summoned to the monarchs home. I was escorted by several captains one of them being captain Nichols. They took me into a small room where I soon found my self surrounded by members of the royal family and the monarch himself.