Chapter 18: I Know You From Somewhere

Your POV

The wooden door was the only thing that stood between us. Kaneki was right on the other side, just a few feet away. But my feet wouldn't move. Stuck in that place, my heart started to beat fast again.

Gaby placed a hand on my shoulder. "There is no rush, (Y/N), take all the time you need." She rubbed it. Nodding my head, she started to walk away, and no one else stood beside me.

My wish was to be alone with Kaneki after all. Looking down, I saw that somehow my hand had been placed on the door handle. I tighten my fingers around it, but stopped myself before opening it.

What if he wants to be left alone? I thought, maybe I'll talk to him later. I let go of the handle and turned around. My body jumped. Gaby's niece, Antonia, was standing behind me.

"Oh! Sorry to startle you,(Y/N)!" She chuckled. "Are you not going in?" Antonia pointed with one finger towards the door. I shook my head. She looked worried. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

I was starting to get annoyed by her. "I'd rather not talk about it." I walked past her. My left hand was grabbed. "He's waiting for you in there. And stop being selfish, just because you're scared, doesn't mean you get to walk away from Kaneki. He is your best friend, and he loves you. Don't you love him as well?"

Antonia's voice was angry. Her eyes were slightly filled with tears. "You can't keep him waiting. It's been over a year since you've seen him; the waiting is finally done. You have the chance to see him, and you're walking away? That's not you, (Y/N), you're a strong girl, and you know it. What is Kaneki going to think when he doesn't see you walking through that door? He's probaly going to think you've forgetten about him."

"Come on, please don't walk away. Don't you love him?" She asked me again. There was a knot in my throat and tears in my eyes as well. Antonia looked at me, waiting for my answer.

I nodded. I do love my best friend. That has never changed. Antonia took my hand and placed it on the handle. "Then go tell him that you do." Tears spilled from her eyes.

"Okay." My voice was a whisper. Antonia walked away, taking a last look at me and headed into another room. I pushed down on the handle, and the door creaked open.

Not looking at the bed, I face the door and close it behind me. My hands shook. I took a deep breath and turned around.

Kaneki was sitting up on his bed, hands in his lap, eyes wide with tears.

"(Y-y/n)?" His voice made my heart tie itself into a knot. "Kaneki." My tears ran down the side of my cheeks as I dashed to Kaneki.

He reached out his arms and caught me in them, kissing me. I pulled back, and noticed that we were both crying with smiles on our face.

"I missed you so much." I was able to sob out. His scent filled my nose. His arms wrapped around me as I laid down next to him. I heard his heartbeat. I heard his voice.

I was home.