7. Life Is Unfair

Zachary

"Follow me."

"Yes, my lord."

Caleb was nervous, I could tell by the way he swaggered slightly as we made our way to my office, he's lost the smirk that had been on his face when he'd been with Athena only moments ago.

Athena.

I should have been down there helping her, teaching her. But that wasn't my job, it wasn't my problem.I didn't understand why I so desperately wanted it to be my problem, for it to be my job.

She must hate me for what I've done.  The thought angered me like nothing else, it was strange normally I'm calm and collected while Caleb or one of the others shout about how life is so unfair.

"My lord?"

I hadn't even realised I'd stopped walking until Caleb called back to. "I suppose here is as good as anywhere. I mean it's not like anyone is going to here us mon ami."

"Of course." It pained me to see my friend look at me with such shielded eyes, it was hard for any of us to trust each other anymore. To let our guard down. Even with Caleb, my oldest friend.

"There's something different about her?" I meant it as a statement, but it flowed of my tough as a question. There was no denying how utterly different Athena was.

"I would say so, my lord." His short, stunted answers began to annoy me, they weren't helpful and wouldn't lead us anywhere.

I realised my breath slowly through my teeth as I asked the question that had been playing on my mind. "How did she do?"

"Honestly?"

My only reply is a slight nod of the head.

"She did better than I expected, she was uncomfortable, true. But who isn't on their first time? However she did then thank him afterwards, which I thought was amusing." The smirk that now lay on his face was contributing to that fact.

"God, there is so much for her to learn." I run my hands thought my hair, thanking a blood bag, stuff like this could never get out or any position she would hold in the vampire world would be servilely weakened.

"Yes......my lord?"

"Hmmm?" I pull my hands away from my face to see the awkward look on Caleb's face, the way he shifts from foot-to-foot like an impatient rabbit, it's comical to watch.

"I've been thinking.."

"So that's what you like to call it mon ami?"

"Please Zachary listen to me." The sudden conviction in his words caused me to stop mocking him and look at him, I mean really look at him.

His awkward rabbit qualities had gone. His hands were clenched, a sign of anger, he was breathing through his nose, an attempt to calm said anger, and his eyes where pleading.

"I know what I'm about to say won't be easy for you to hear, because for some unknown reason you are so smitten with that girl." His hand flicked backwards as he pointed in the direction of Athena's room. "But the thought must have already crossed your mind. "

He was wrong the thought hadn't crossed my mind, mainly because I hadn't let it, and I didn't want the thought to cross my mind.

But I knew I was going to have to grit my teeth and bare it.

And she would have to bare the consequences.

"What is on you mind Caleb?" It ended as a grow and from the look on his face I knew I was losing it. I could feel the anger slowly seeping into every pore of my body.

It was so foreign the feelings for this girl I had only just met. A girl who, without saying any words, had convinced me to sire them. I should not be feeling so attached, so limited by my emotions that they begin to cloud my judgment.

Something wasn't right.

"From her age, my lord, and the army style uniform she was wearing when you first brought her here. I would say that it's only logical that she was part o the resistance. And due to the location most likely The Orphanage."

Thoughts I didn't want to have began to surface:

How could we trust her?

Would she be excepted?

Would she run off back to them and betray us all?

My breath came out through my teeth, a sure sign to anyone paying attention that I was seriously stressed and pissed off. "I agree Caleb, and it seems as if  I may have created a problem, however, I don't see any need to call in the rest of the Enforcers just yet. There presence may prove a nuisance, and we don't know if there even is a fret, and if there's not we may be causing ourselves a bigger problem. By bringing them in and scaring her off and back to the Resistance. Am I understood?"

"Perfectly, my lord."

I hadn't even realised how tense I was, until Caleb, my right-hand man, agreed with me. It was almost as if I had been given permission to believe the possibility that my precious Athena would pick the life that I'd forced upon her.

"What are you going to do with her?"

Truely that was the question. If I wanted to keep her, if she wanted to stay, there would be things she need to learn. Not just about being a vampire, but about the community I'd brought her into, about her position, about my position.

"She needs to be taught the basics regardless of whether she stays or not, we can't have an uneducated vampire running around loose. We'd lose support and confidence."

"Of course."

"But first we need to show her that being a vampire isn't a burden, or something horrible, it's a gift from god and we will show her how to embrace it. So that when the Enforcers do come she will pick us without a doubt and we'll all be safe."

"I hope you are right. my lord, for both our sakes, as well as hers."

"I am. We will start tomorrow mon compagnon."

With that I turned away, I'm sure Caleb was biting his tongue, and that their are a few things he'd like to say to me.But he knows that I am still his lord, no matter what decisions I make.

And he is in no position to argue with me.