22.

"I THINK I'M going to throw up."

"If you do, make sure to aim at Wesley or Meyers."

The three of us simultaneously scowled at Damian. Before speaking to the over 20,000 Blazers fans at the first game of the 2013-2014 season, the last thing I needed was an ill-timed joke. Nothing could change that I loathed speaking in to an audience.

The corner of Damian's mouth twitched. "Normally, I'd kiss you or something, but there are fans watching us, so..."

I sucked in air through my teeth. "Sure you would."

When he asked me out in April, we decided to keep our dating a secret from the public. It's been six months since then, and things between us had gone nothing but smoothly. I guess it wasn't hard to date someone you met fourteen years ago.

Over the past summer, we spent as much time together over the break as we did when we were friends in high school, so it was nothing unusual. The only noticeable difference compared to our time as teenagers was that I was now the only one who ate pints of ice cream when we cuddled over Netflix, while Damian nibbled on fruits and vegetables.

I glared at my smug boyfriend, thinking back to how he would tease me for not eating healthy. Damn professional athletes and their healthy diets.

The summer after our respective first years with the Blazers went by in a blur, but we both agreed it was more fun being around his crazy teammates. That's why, even with my nerves, I felt giddy and more at ease just by standing near the men that I began to consider my family. What made today especially better for me was that Sydney made a plane trip to Portland to spend the week, because she told me she had some good news. She was currently waiting for me by my seat.

Before I could think of a witty comeback to Dame, the public address announcer's voice rumbled on the loudspeakers. "Fans, let's give a warm welcome to Trail Blazers minority owner, Miss Arabel Deaton!"

The fans greeted me with warm applause as I walked to center court with a microphone in hand. "It's been more than a year since I became a partial owner of your Trail Blazers, and I'd just like to say a sincere thank you to everyone for welcoming me to this organization with open arms. I know there have been bumps along the way, but I still received continuous support from fans. When I signed to be an owner, it was because I recognized this team could be something great, and they have a bright future. I know this will be a memorable year. Go Blazers!"

I walked past the Blazers' bench to get to my seat by Sydney. Dame smirked suggestively when I neared. "Why's it gonna be a memorable year?" Of course, he thought I meant it in an obscene way. I decided to mess with him and play along.

Using a seductive tone, I tapped his chest. "Because I am waiting for the day you and I go in my bedroom and I can scream out as loud as I can when you..." I paused, taking in the team's shocked reactions to my innuendo. I switched to an upbeat voice, grinning at a wide-eyed Damian. "And your teammates make the playoffs! Don't you agree?"

Damian's jaw went slack. The teammates who overheard our interaction leaned back and laughed boisterously.

Damian shook his head and smiled. At least he took the defeat with grace. "I'll admit, that was good. I'll have to get you back for that somehow."

"I'm sorry." I laughed, turning to walk to my seat.

"No, you're not," he called out.

I could still hear his teammates hooting and ragging on him as I strode away.

"She don't want the D," ribbed LaMarcus.

"Nah man," Nicolas corrected. "More like, she don't want the Dame." They were so boyish, I had to laugh with them.

I hugged Sydney once I reached my seat. She didn't speak to me until the game started. "What was that all about?" She motioned towards the players on the court. "They kept looking over at you when you walked here."

"I embarrassed Damian in front of his teammates."

She laughed. "Nice. He's not getting revenge?"

"Oh, he will. He said he would get me back, and I believe him." I shrugged. "But it was totally worth it."

---

It's been nearly a month since I last updated. The things writer's block does to you lol.

I published a new story called "Letters to Leah » Stephen Curry" and it's my favorite book of mine. It's different than my other stories, so check it out if you want to.