07.

I MET THE BOYS at the entrance to the arena. I wouldn't admit it, but like Sydney had insisted earlier, they were attractive.

Zac looked like he practically lived on the beach with his tanned skin and wavy blond hair. Sydney informed me that Ty was part Hawaiian like me, and he had the similar tan skin and dark hair to prove it.

Ty and Zac both seemed nice enough and they gave me warm smiles. But once Sydney and Zac walked away from us, Ty and I fell into an uncomfortable silence.

Ty cleared his throat and spoke up. "I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings Arabel, but the only reason I'm here is because Zac kind of dragged me with him so he wouldn't be alone. I'm not really interested in dating anyone right now, sorry."

I think he expected me to be hurt, but his words actually took weight off my shoulders. I was worried that things would stay awkward for us throughout the evening, but now I wouldn't have to worry about that.

"It's totally fine. I'm also not really here for the date," I admitted.

By now, the four of us were sitting down in our seats. Ty and I continued our friendly conversation while our friends continued flirting.

Ty placed his elbow onto the arm rest and faced me. "Just cause I'm curious, why did you decide to go on this date then?"

"I only agreed to come and take my mind off my research paper," I replied. "I love watching basketball, so when Sydney offered me a ticket I couldn't resist."

Ty raised his eyebrows. "Really? I wouldn't expect you to like basketball."

I chuckled. "Just because I'm short, it doesn't mean I can't love watching it. Keep in mind I can't actually make a shot to save my life."

He grinned, but his face soon turned into a look of curiosity as he glanced onto the players warming up. "Earlier you told me you weren't interested in anyone. Are you completely sure about that?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

He gave a subtle point over to the visiting team. "Wildcats player with jersey number one is staring at you. Actually, ever since we got here he's kept glancing at you."

I shrugged. "I can't possibly know who that is. I don't know anyone on the Wildcats..." I faltered when I took a look at the opposing team and finally put two and two together.

Their uniforms were purple, not red. When Sydney had said our school was playing the Wildcats, I had assumed she meant the Arizona Wildcats. It turned out that I was far from correct. These were the Weber State Wildcats.

Weber State, as in the team my ex-best friend Damian Lillard played for.

For years we never even spoke to each other. Now, we were both staring, equally as shocked at our incidental encounter.

"I'm guessing you know him?" Ty questioned.

I realized I had been silent for a while and slowly nodded. "That's Damian Lillard. We were pretty close before college, I guess." I tried to downplay how much he was a part of my life.

As if Damian heard his former friend say his name, he had stopped warming up and instead had his eyes trained on me. I pursed my lips and trained my eyes to the floor to avoid eye contact.

"Once college started, it was hard for both of us to stay in touch. I guess we were both too busy to ever talk, because soon we both just gave up on communicating and shut the other person out. But I'm over it now," I added.

I must have sounded upset because he gave my back a reassuring pat. "Hey, you came here to have fun, right?" The buzzer sounded, signaling the beginning of the game. "So let's do that by cheering for our school."

I gave a weak grin to Ty. For the rest of the game, I did all I could to take my mind off my report, as well as what remained of the boy I was friends with years ago.

><><

STANFORD WON THE game, but I was more annoyed than happy. With just a minute left in the game, Sydney had decided to go to the bathroom. Ty insisted on buying me some popcorn for both of us after the game, and Zac left with him to get his own food. So that left me by myself, with the game finished.

And when I'd asked them if I should meet them outside the arena, they all said the same thing—you can just wait here.

An usher who was cleaning up walked by me and gave me a weird look. I didn't blame him, though. The game ended at least five minutes ago and most people had already left the arena. I was the only person still sitting courtside, and it didn't seem like I'd be getting up any time soon.

"I'm waiting for a friend," I said to the usher. He replied by rolling his eyes and walking away.

I slumped against my seat and waited for Sydney and our dates. Did it really take this long to get food or go to the bathroom? Knowing Sydney, she probably got sidetracked and was striking up a long conversation with a stranger on the way back.

I was sending a strongly-worded text to Sydney for leaving me by myself when I heard someone clear their throat.

I glanced up and my heart dropped. Standing just inches away from me was the exact person I had been wary of throughout the whole game.

Damian smiled at me. "Hey, Ara."

---

Surprise, Ara! Bet she thought she was over seeing Damian.

So Damian's teammate (and my favorite player) Wesley Matthews had an Achilles injury and he's out for the season. Ugh...he seemed so close to crying in his post game interview too.

Please continue to vote/comment!