13.

"YOU AND DAMIAN. How are things going?" Sydney's voice rang from the other end of the phone.

"It's becoming awkward again." I paced around my new condo in Portland. "We both know we can't be close, but we always make this weird eye contact with each other." I cringed at the thought of it.

"Isn't that what you agreed to do? Not be close with the players?" she pointed out.

"Yes, but I never said I willingly agreed."

I was already friendlier to the players than most owners would have liked. After most of their home games, I would meet the players in the locker room and have conversations with them, and it was like I was a part of the team.

It was one of the few times I could talk to Damian, besides when we hung out at one another's house. That was on rare occasions because it was difficult for us to both find free time to meet.

"We both want to be friends, but not if it gets me in serious trouble with the team executives. If someone found out that he and I were best friends as kids..." I trailed off.

I glanced out the back door, where I got an aerial view of downtown because my room was in one of the top floors. The clouds were condensing and the sky was a murky gray. From what I overheard, it was supposed to be snowing today. Snow was a rarity in Oregon for as much rain as they received.

Sydney caught my attention by clearing her throat. "Sorry to change the subject, but have you done the paperwork yet? It's really important." I cussed under my breath.

"Syd, I think I forgot it at the practice facility. I'll call you later." I quickly hung up, grabbed a scarf and coat, and headed out.

I groaned. I had left it at the practice facility yesterday when I dropped by my office. How could I forget something as important as the papers I had mindlessly strewn across my office desk?

By the time I reached my car and drove onto the highway, it was much less busy than normal. It was for good reason, too. On the radio, the local news station was telling everyone to begin heading home. A mini snow storm was coming soon.

"Just beautiful," I muttered. With my luck, of course I would be driving away from my condo while everyone else would be going home. I was already close to the practice building, so it was too late for me to turn around. I tapped impatiently on the steering wheel as I drove.

I reached the parking lot of the team's practice facility. I expected no one else to be there, but instead some parking spaces were still filled.

Once I stepped outside of my car, my cheeks stung from the bitter cold air. There was thankfully no snow yet. I tugged my scarf tighter to my body and briskly walked inside.

I could hear the faint noise of men talking and dribbling basketballs. I was puzzled to discover that the players were still in the building.

A female worker for the Blazers walked near me. I caught her attention. "Excuse me. I was wondering why so many people are still here. Shouldn't everyone be going home?"

"Some people left just a few minutes ago, and they called back to say that it would be safer to stay here. It would be too risky to drive with the snowstorm coming soon," she replied. "The players are all still here, since they were especially advised to be cautious."

I thanked her then walked to my office. Even though the players were being told to stay here, I was planning to leave as soon as I could. I lived less than ten minutes away, anyways.

I unlocked the door and walked over to my desk, searching for the paperwork for Sydney and I's business. I frowned when I couldn't find the papers anywhere on my desk. I clearly remembered leaving them here, so someone must have moved it.