20- Yesterday is Dead

Beginne am Anfang

"You don't even know what that means, Sara," Beckett grumbles at his sister, who is now grinning at her older brother, who I think might be blushing.

"No, I don't," She agrees with him. "But it makes you all embarrassed and I think that's funny."

"Go away," He tells her.

She rolls her eyes at him and then looks at me and says, "Isn't he just so grumpy when he's in love?"

Beckett turns to his sister and glares before she's hopping off of the porch and sprinting toward her own house, leaving a fit of laughter behind her.

"Sorry about her," Beckett mumbles when she's completely gone.

"It's okay," I assure her but I can't hide a little bit of laughter. "I know how they can be. Do you want to come in?"

"Yeah, sure," He nods and I step away from the doorway to let him into the house. I haven't really talked to Beckett since Tuesday when I came to his house crying my brains out so this is a little bit awkward but I still want to be polite and invite him in and everything. I'm also not completely against the idea of hanging out with Beckett for a little while.

"So you saw the news stuff. Is it brutal?" I ask after I shut the door behind him and we both walk into the living room.

"No, it's not so bad. You haven't read any of it?"

"I haven't had time," I lie quickly as I sit down on the couch and he follows. "My friend told me about it just a little while ago but I never expected it to be such a big deal. I mean, I knew people would be unhappy about it on YouTube and Twitter but I never expected to get the attention of Yahoo or anything like that."

"You are pretty famous," He informs me.

"Yeah," I sigh. "I guess I just prefer to stay stuck in my little bubble of modesty so that I don't have to face that fact. It freaks me out too much. I just... I sing on the internet, I don't think that it's such a huge thing."

"You're a role model," Beckett says in return. "Not just a great singer."

"Right," I say with a loud scoff, leaning farther back in the couch. "Because my life is so put together."

"Nobody's perfect," He says with a shrug. "But you're still a really great role model for a lot of your fans- you've been through a lot and you came out alive, and that's what matters. Your life may not be so put together right now but the thing is that you'll put it together. And that's what makes you special."

I just stare at him for a minute, kind of surprised at what he just said because it was really nice but also incredibly unexpected. After a moment to process what he said, Beckett suddenly looks away from me and I feel like I really need to say something before this gets awkward again. "Uh. Thanks. I actually-"

I'm cut off when my phone starts ringing in my pocket, making both of us jump a little bit as I scramble to answer the phone, eager for an excuse to not have to think of something to say in response to that really generous statement from Beckett.

However, when I look down at the screen of my phone and see that it's Elliot that's calling me, I suddenly feel -1000% relieved. Before I can stop myself though, I look at Beckett and clear my throat. "Sorry, I have to take this."

"Sure, yeah," He confirms, nodding.

"Don't leave, okay? This won't take long and then we can... I don't know, hang out or something," I say quickly before I hurry out of the room to go into the kitchen to take the call. I don't want him to think that I think that what he just said was weird. I don't think that it's weird, I think that it's really sweet of him to say something like that. It was just so sweet that I had no idea how to respond to it is all.