Since I found out I was a cupid, I had read and learned everything about being a cupid. I had visited others of our kind, and even spied on some heartbreakers, and one thing I learned was that for a human to fall in love with us was practically impossible. At the age of 15, when we are chosen to be cupid, the opposite sex isn’t attracted to us physically anymore, because of something the elders do to us. The eldest cupid I ever talked to, who was 93 years old, had told me that only very rarely a human would surpass the repellent the elders put on us, and actually develop feeling for one of us.

Maybe Lena was right and it was just an infatuation of some sort and I had nothing to worry about. If I did something, it might get worse.

Lena was still waiting for an explanation from my part to why I would be surprised, so I lied and said, “He’s just always felt like my brother to me so thinking that somebody might like him, is a surprise to me.” At least some of that was true.

Lena nodded and sighed, “Gosh, I really don’t want to go on this quadruple date.”

“I’m sure Willem is a nice guy.” I tried. Maybe if I could get Lena to forget about Will and focus on Willem everything would work out.

“Yeah, he is, but he never understands my sarcasm or my wonderful sense of humor.” Lena said with a small smile.

I laughed at her confidence. “That’s probably because there is nothing to understand.” I joked.

“Or because he’s French and understand only 50 percent of what I say.” Lena added with a grin.

I chuckled. “Yeah, that could play a role in it to.” I checked my phone to see the time and noticed that we better leave. “We should get going, or we’ll be late.” I told her.

Lena stood up, and grabbed her little shoulder bag, as I did the same. “Promise not to tell Will anything?” Lena asked again.

“Pinky promise!” I exclaimed as I hooked my finger into Lena’s outstretched pinky.

We headed down to find Will asleep on the sofa. Lena giggled at the sight of Will’s drool coming out of his mouth. I looked at her, and she mirrored my mischievous look. This was going to be fun.

“Get two pens.” I mouthed at Lena. She nodded and ran back up to Will’s room. She came back quickly, and gave me one of the pens. We sneaked towards him trying to make the least noise possible. He didn’t move an inch. It’s a good thing that Will was a deep sleeper.

Lena started drawing a flower on Will’s left cheek with the words ‘Flower Power’ as I wrote Will’s number on his cheek with the words: ‘Call me.” Lena let out a snort of laughter when she saw what I wrote, but clamped a hand over her mouth, when Will moved. After we were sure that he was sleeping again, we continued drawing on his face, until there was no space left. Lena gave me the pens and whispered, “Put them back where they were, and then come down again.” I did what she asked and when Lena saw me she winked at me, and before I knew it she let out a blood-chilling scream. “Aaaaaaaaaaah Will!”

Will jumped up in confusion, his eyes filled with alarm and sleep. “What’s happening?” He asked in panic.

“Oh I thought I saw a spider. It was actually just a speck of dust.” Lena shrugged nonchalantly.

I almost burst out laughing at Lena’s demeanor, but luckily I was able to keep it in.

“Since when are you afraid of spiders?” Will asked incredulously.

“Oh, silly me!” Lena exclaimed as she hit her forehead with her palm. “I forgot that I wasn’t scared of spiders!”

My stomach was hurting from keeping all my laughter in. Lena seemed so serious, while Will looked like a confused sleepy head with a face full of marker. I really hoped he wouldn’t notice it until we got out of the house.