Date Haze

Chapter 9: Date Haze

Recap: The doorbell rang, and I quickly shot a look at Nicole to see if she hadn’t fainted yet. She seamed to be okay, so I went to the door and opened it to find Lance and Christopher.

Lena’s POV

            They both smiled at me when they saw my face, and Christopher bend down to give me a kiss on the cheek.

I smiled back awkwardly, not knowing what to say. Luckily Nicole came to the rescue.

“Hey, you guys! How’s it going?” she said nonchalantly.

I gave her a surprised look, wondering how she could switch from: Oh my god I’m gonna puke to I’m cooler then a penguin. Nicole looked like she had all the confidence in the world and was completely unfazed by the presence of the boys, especially Lance.

After a while, my brain registered the fact that I probably looked really dumb just standing there starring at Nicky, and so I shook my head and with a smile asked:

“Hey! Are you guys ready to go?”

“We were approaching our destination slowly, because Christopher had insisted on driving, and so I continuously had to tell him where to turn since I didn’t want to tell anyone where we were going. I was in the front seat next to Christopher, while Nicole and Lance were in the back. I glanced to the back and I could see that Nicole and Lance were really hitting it off.

Lance was trying to tickle Nicole, while she tried to defend herself by slapping him. Naturally Nicole wasn’t a match for Lance’s well defined muscles, so she ended up laughing hysterically, while Lance kept on tickling her. I smiled at the scene and turned back to the front, just in time to tell Christopher to turn the right.

Christopher was a nice guy. He was pretty funny and he had cracked me up earlier by doing an amazingly accurate impression of Mr. Rollerfan, our math teacher.

Christopher had asked me to call him Chris, but the name felt strange to me. As if I couldn’t wrap myself around it.

“What are you thinking about?” Christopher, I mean Chris, asked interrupting my train of thoughts.

“Oh.. eh… just about… the place where we’re going.”

“Which is…?”

“I’m not saying.” I answered teasingly.

Chris smiled at me, shrugged at me, and gave up trying to find out.

That kind of bummed me out. I didn’t want a guy that does everything I say and doesn’t give me a challenge. Life would be boring that way.

Wait. What am I saying? I don’t even WANT a guy! Why was I imagining the perfect guy? Like that even exists. I scoffed at the idea, which gave me a weird look from Chris.

“We have to stop here.” I said quickly trying to make up for earlier.

He nodded and pulled over in a parking space. We all stepped out of the car in to the cool evening weather, and I gave a slight shiver. Immediately two hands wrapped themselves around my waist and pulled me closer, as if they were trying to heat me up.

I looked up in surprise to see who those hands belonged to and I see Chris with a goofy smile on his face.

Oh,, great! I hate it when guys do that. Are they scared we’re going to break into a million pieces if a gust of wind ruffles our hair? Do they think they are going to save us from big scary clouds? Get real guys. We can look after ourselves; We’re 21st century girls.