Chp ~ Five

The next few days went by quickly and before I knew it I was signing the lease to the apartment. Vivian drove me there and helped me to settle in. She presented me with a box.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"Both a thank you present and a house warming gift." she smiled. I opened the box and found all sorts of things that would get me started here. A pot, pans, matches & a lighter, candles...

"Oh, a blender!" I stated happily. "Thank you so much Vivian, for everything." I looked up to her and she looked teary."What's wrong?" I asked putting my hand on her arm.

"I'm going to miss you." She sobbed, pulling me into a tight hug. I laughed into her dark, mousey hair.

"I'll make sure to visit, and you're welcome here anytime. Also I still owe you with babysitting," I looked down at the box, "Three times now."

Vivian left all blubbery which made me smile. No one had ever shown so much compassion towards me, ever. I unpacked the box and put the pots and pans, along with the blender which I adored, into the cupboards in the open kitchen. I found a new set of cutlery near the bottom of the box along with a few glasses. I packed them into a draw and put the glasses in the fridge. I sat down at the kitchen down at the small kitchen table, built for four; I felt alone sitting by myself. I sighed sadly and looked around the already furnished apartment. That‘s what instantly drew me to this place, it came completely furnished. A table and chairs; Fridge; sofa; coffee table, a TV and a massive bed. That had to be my favorite by far; after the blender of course. Smoothies were, in fact, my life; I could live off of them.  

Thinking of smoothies made my mouth water and I realised I was hungry. I looked into the box for food and found a cake. Yum, I must admit but not very nutritious and it wasn’t going to keep me full for long. I decided to unpack the rest of the box before making my next decision. At the bottom of the box Vivian had cleverly included a map of Forks and put a shiny star next to the store. I laughed out loud; she reminded me of those mums you see one television ads. You know the ones that are all lovey and cute stuff like that and you just know there has to be at least one person in the world like that.

I took my jacket, the map and my credit card for a walk to the store. I never shopped with a list; I found it too...restricting. I walked into the shop and grabbed a trolley. The first isle I went down was the frozen section. I thanked Vivian mentally for the pots and pans. By the third isle my trolley was half filled; I felt a little gluttonous and prayed there was only a few isles left. Thankfully there was only three left, so six in total. I smiled; I had managed to keep the groceries from overflowing the trolley.

I was at the end of the isle and saw the cash registers up ahead. I grabbed the trolley hard and made a running start and like any other time I went shopping by myself, I lifted my feet off the ground and was gliding with the trolley. Suddenly a person stepped in front of the isle a few meters away with their back to me; a hot flush jumped down my spine. It took all my strength to stop the trolley from knocking them over. But when it skidded to a halt it had still hit them slightly, not hard enough to even hurt; but still annoying.

"Oh shit, sorry." I blushed. They turned around slowly and my heart skipped a few beats as I studied his face. Seth. Just his name sent shivers through me."Sorry." I breathed.

"Hey, I thought me sm...Saw you." he grinned. If I didn’t have support from the trolley that grin alone could’ve melted away my knees. He peered down into my trolley and laughed. It shook me awake.

"Feeding an army?"

"Yeah. What? No,' I laughed nervously, "I just figured I'm staying a while so better get stocked up."

"Hey Seth," called a girl from behind me, “I got that shit you wanted." In that split second I hadn’t seen her face, I felt my world tumble down. Damn I though, he had a girlfriend; but he had kissed me. But when she stepped around me and threw something at him I almost laughed.

"Rachel, this is my sister Leah. Leah this is Rachel."

And don’t I know it," she said cocking an eyebrow looking me up and down then looking at Seth "She smells just like you said."

Seth rolled his eyes. I looked up at him confused, "I smell?" I asked. Leah laughed walking back down the aisle.

Yes, wait no...Not like that. How about I tell you some other time. I gotta go." he said hurriedly.

"Ah yeah sure." It was my house I could have whoever I wanted over.

"Ok cool. Are you still with Vivian & Michael?"

"Um. No. I have my own place now."

"Is it ok if I visit you there?" he asked unsure.

I nodded.

"Where abouts?"

As I told him I couldn’t stop staring at him, he was so cute. He smiled down at me the whole time and I felt another hot flush run through my body. He nodded saying he knew where it was and hugged me goodbye. He jogged to Leah who was lingering nearby. I unloaded the groceries onto the counter and as I did I watched them.

"She’s pretty." Leah said.

"That's nice coming from you. Nice to know I have your approval." he said laughing.

"It's not approval...yet," Leah scoffed, "Not that I can help it."

Seth laughed at his sister and playfully punched her on the arm; she glared at him and with one hand pushed him into a shelf that which shook unstably, a few things falling off. Seth looked at them innocently and walked away as if he hadn’t done it. I laughed aloud, Seth must've heard because he turned and winked at me. I looked away smiling.

"That's two-eighty miss." I jumped as the cashier asked for the money. I paid and left; taking the trolley with me.

As I unpacked the groceries into the pantry and fridge I wondered when Seth would stop by and if he actually would. There was something about him. Every time I saw him or even thought about him I instantly felt that I could open up to him and be myself; and truest my life in his hands. I had never experienced love and began to wonder whether if this is what it felt like. I sighed as I laid down on the sofa, looking at my watch ten-ten. How could I possibly love someone when I barely knew them at all? I drifted to sleep thinking of Seth; I knew I liked him but, how much? A knock at the door shook me awake.