Chapter 11

Destiny

I walked into art class and willed myself not to look over at Chris. I sat in an empty seat, fighting the urge to look at him, and instead watched the door. The tick of the clock was deafening, and my eyes flitted between the empty doorway and the clock above it. For what felt like hours, I sat there silently praying that Nina would walk in. The only brunette who walked in was River. She rushed into the seat beside me and smiled. I smiled in return, thankful for a friend to distract me. Throwing her purse to the ground, she quickly fluffed her hair and I caught a whiff of her perfume.

"Do I look okay?" she asked breathlessly, checking herself out in a small compact mirror. I nodded wordlessly, giving her a quizzical look. "You would not believe it - Dawn texted me that Chris likes me! He thinks, and I quote, that I'm 'the only genuine and down-to-earth girl here, and that I'm someone he could 'totally see himself with'!" she whispered excitedly. I looked at River in confusion and utter shock. I scooted away from her, my chair screeching loudly against the linoleum floor.

"What? Did you miss everything  that went down this week? We're going to get back together, at least, hopefully after school!" I whispered hotly, staring at her coldly. She shook her head and smiled. 

"She also told me that it was all fake," she spat in my face, causing me to flinch. " If you wanted him, you had your chance. Now it's somebody else's turn in the spotlight," with that parting statement, River picked up her books, and stalked her way over to Chris's desk. I followed her movements with an icy glare. She sat down beside Chris and flipped her hair over her shoulder. I watched as Chris inched away and smiled nervously. He looked past her, peering at me. His eyes widened as they locked with mine. My mouth dropped open into a surprised o shape, and I hurriedly looked away, instead focusing intently on my textbook. I felt heat creep up my neck, and I hurriedly blinked away tears. A messenger bag fell in a heap next to my desk, and I looked up to see Nina's excited face. 

"Did anything happen after I left? Are you guys together... for real?" She whispered. Earlier on I had told her everything and we've been close  friends since. River burst out laughing and Nina looked past me, a slight frown replacing her previous excitement. She touched my shoulder and mouthed I'm sorry. I shrugged, her hand gently falling off my shoulder.

"He can like anyone he wants. It's a free country." I said wistfully, a sour taste filling my mouth. But my heart, rapidly beating inside my chest, said the complete opposite.

*********

I walked to my locker with my head down. Listening to River all class had been painful, and the thought of Chris liking her over me hurt too much to think about. What hurt the most was that I had thought River was my friend, my ally...worst of all I had been fooled by Dawn once again. Stopping in the girls bathroom, i threw my bag down on the counter. Looking up at my reflection, I saw my lip tremble. Quickly pulling my hair into a ponytail, I inhaled deeply to fight off tears. I reached forward, gripping the faucet till my knuckles were white, and turned it. A stream of fresh, cool water fell from the faucet, and I quickly splashed it across my face. This makeup, hair, everything... it's not me. Who did I think I was fooling? I thought, as i tried to rub off the thick coat of lipstick. I slowly packed my books into my bag, exiting the washroom. By now the halls had cleared, and I walked slowly towards my locker.

As I turned the corner, I heard a loud cough and looked up abruptly to see Chris standing in front of my locker, with a white rose dangling from his fingertips. My breath caught in my throat, and I forced my legs to continue moving forward. As I approached him, he pushed the rose out towards me, his cheeks slowly turning pink. I slowed to a halt, standing in the hallway dumbfounded. I reached my arm out, our fingers brushing as I pulled the rose towards me. A fleeting smile crept it's way across my face as I reminisced about our scheming, but it  left just as quickly as it appeared. 

"I'm sorry about everything," we both said in a rush. We laughed, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him give me the once-over. Chris cleared his throat before speaking. "I really am sorry. I shouldn't have shouted at you. I should've known those girls were up to no good." I shook my head vehemently. 

"You shouldn't be apologizing, I should. It's all my fault".  I looked up into his eyes, my legs turning to mush. He reached for my hand and smiled gently. I knew in that moment that all was forgiven, and I allowed myself to smile in return. Chris blushed even deeper and he whistled. "You look really nice" he mumbled, his gaze boring into mine. 

"I. . . um. . . Thank you. Would you, I mean . . . Do you want to, um, come over for dinner?" I asked, looking everywhere but his big brown eyes. His grip on my hand tightened for moment before he twined our fingers together. He grinned, tugging me towards his car.

********

"Dad! I'm home! I'm going to go upstairs and do some homework with my friend!" I hollered as I shook my shoes off.

"What, no welcome for your mother?" mom joked as she stepped into the room. "Who is this young man?" she smiled

"My name is Chris. Nice to meet you Mrs.-" Chris stood with his mouth agape, unable to complete his sentence. He turned to me, a look of panic flitting across his face. 

"-Michaels. But call me Jane." she shook his hand and stepped out of our way. Chris let out a sigh of relief, and I fought the grin forming on my face. Mom looked at me, an eyebrow raised and a look as if to say I want every detail after. "We'll call you for supper after the movie is done!" mom said as she turned and began to climb up the stairs. After a brief tour of the house, we stopped outside of my bedroom door. With a quick smile in Chris' direction, I pushed open the door and shooed him in. 

"Sorry my room is such a mess" I said as we entered. Chris laughed.

"It's cleaner than mine. Better change that before I invite you over" Chris winked at me and I melted inside. Chris and I sat in my room talking for what felt like hours, laughing and swapping stories in a way only old friends could. Suddenly my computer pinged, and a new chat box popped up. Breaking away from the bubble surrounding Chris and I, I went to turn on my screen, only to be flabbergasted by what I saw. 

Riveting300: I know what you did

Destined4life: ?

Riveting300: You stole Chris! Dawn was so right about you! The minute you see any competition, you pull some crazy stunt! You are just a stupid loser ginger, just like she said.

Riveting300 has left the conversation

I sat still, stunned for a brief moment. I grunted, and rammed my fist into the power button. Chris looked up at me strangely.

"You okay?" he asked, his face showing concern.

"Just dealing with Dawn and her stupid puppets" I mumbled. He inclined his head towards the door.

"You want to go for a walk? Maybe talk to me about what's going on?" He stood up, and pulled me towards the door. I smiled, and let him drag me along.

*********

"Thanks for listening to me. That means a lot." I smiled earnestly in his direction. I gently dug my feet into the sand, beginning to swing slowly back and forth on the playground swing. He grinned down at me.

"Anytime. I'm happy to help. So, listen, I was wondering if –"his phone rang and he grimaced. He looked at me apologetically and continued to let it ring. I waved my hand and nodded towards the phone, giving him the OK to answer it. 

Chris nodded his thanks before answering. "Hello? Wait, what? You want me to come right now? I'm kind of busy at the moment..." he jerked the phone away from his ear as loud wails came pouring out of the small speaker. I looked at the caller I.D. and saw River's name and number, blinking back at me in an evil, spiteful manner.

"You know what? It's okay! You can stay for dinner anytime!" I said, in a cheery voice. Chris looked troubled. He covered the mouthpiece of his phone.

"You sure? I don't know what's going on, but she seems really upset" he looked into my eyes intently. I nodded silently, hoping my fake smile wouldn't falter and give me away. He sighed loudly and spoke into his phone.

" I'll be there in ten minutes." He said, then shut the phone. He turned to me looking guilty. " Destiny, really,  I am so so sor-"

"Don't worry about it." I said and smiled a sad, wistful smile.