Losing A Friend

Lucas moved three spaces from where his piece was last placed. “Your turn,” he said. Lucas simpered at Tom who confusingly questioned the move.

“You’re supposed to land on Super Tax not in Mayfair.” Tom protested. He took Lucas’ flat iron piece and moved it one space backwards. “There. That seems right.”  His bronze hair swayed with the wind as the morning breeze came in from an open window at the end of the room. The breeze unintentionally carried one of his paper money flying towards the wall near him. Tom lazily stood up to pick the paper money that flew. He immediately saw two little boys about ten years old playing catch outside, they seemed to be having a lot of fun but Tom didn’t mind and returned to his seat to play the game.

Lucas studied the board more closely, “Wait up,” he took his flat iron piece and placed it by the Liverpool St. Station where it was recently placed. “So I started here and my dice rolled in four so,” Lucas moved his piece along while he counted, “one, two, three and four. Mayfair.” Lucas said and rested his case.

Tom studied the board once more and took Lucas’ flat iron piece, he placed it back on the Liverpool St. Station and started to defend his side, “That’s not how you count,” Tom started counting beginning from the Liverpool St. Station, “one, two, three and four. Super Tax.”

Lucas stared at Tom for a reasonably long time and back at the board. “How do you know? You can barely count,” he said while he placed his hand in front of him slowly reaching for his flat iron piece.

Tom intentionally slapped Lucas’s hand away, “I’m eight years old, I know how to count.” He said. Tom smiled cunningly and proudly showing his pair set of teeth with a missing tooth in the middle. He lost it from the dentist about a week ago and got a dollar from the tooth fairy the night after.

Tom looked back at Lucas, “And you’re a hundred years old.” He said. He stretched his arms forward forcing Lucas to pay his Super Tax of 200 pounds.

Lucas gave up and took 200 pounds from his set of money and gave it to Tom the banker. “Just to let you know that I’m 22 and yet I could pass for a dashing 19 year old.” Lucas fixed his greasy hair and winked at Tom.

“Whatever.” Tom said and took the pair of dice at the floor and shook it vigorously on his hands, “give me seven, give me seven.” He released the pair of dice from his hands and got a three instead.

“You’re going to jail.” Lucas happily said. He did a little dance pumping his left arm in the air, “That’s right, you’re going to jail, woo hoo.” Lucas intentionally sang.

Tom leaned backwards and covered his face. “No,” he said in agony.

Lucas took Tom’s baseball glove piece and placed it by the jail. “Tough Luck,” he satisfyingly said. Tom grinned back at him and went on to watch the game.

“My turn,” Lucas took the dice and released it to the ground giving him five. He moved his piece five spaces forward which landed him on a community chest. “Aah, let’s see now,” he took a card and read it out loud, “It’s your birthday, collect 10 pounds from each player.” He looked at Tom and smiled. Tom grunted and took 10 pounds from his money and gave it to Lucas.

“This game is starting to get boring.” Tom said while he played with the miniature houses and hotels as he tried stacking them up but they just eventually fell.

“It’s not boring when you’re winning.” Lucas said and took the paper money from Tom’s hand, he held it lightly and placed together with his other paper money.

A knock from the door came and both Tom and Lucas looked at each other. “Tom, honey, it’s time for breakfast.” It was Tom’s mom, she tried opening the door but it was locked. “Open up honey.”