Day Thirty-Two

Today felt like a thirty-second day of a month for Tyler. It was going to be a... different kind of day. 

This all happened because he didn't hide it well enough. Two days ago, Tyler was planning to kill himself. He held the noose in his hands and was ready to say hello to death, until he heard a car honk in his driveway. His mom must have gotten off early from work. Tyler panicked. What was he supposed to do with the thick rope in his hands? His eyes darted around his messy room before he saw a hamper full of clean clothes by the door. He slipped it under the pile and sat down on the bed, praying she wouldn't find it. He was wrong.

Tyler heard the creaks of the steps and before long, there was his blonde-haired mom. 

"Tyler I told you to put these clothes away!" She reached for them. "Look at all-" She stopped herself, staring wide-eyed at the exposed rope.

Later that night, after all of his mom's crying of course, Tyler's dad told him he would be going to Eastbrooke and that he had to sleep in his parents' room until then because they couldn't trust him anymore.

So here he was. His mom had checked him in by herself last night because she didn't want to come in with him today. All he had now was a backpack with some clothes and toiletries inside. He had no idea how long he would be staying. It could be days, weeks, or months. He got anxious when he thought about his friends at school asking him where he had been. 

Tyler walked into the foyer, which was almost empty. He walked up to an old, graying woman behind the counter.

"Um, Tyler Joseph," he introduced himself.

"Oh, yes, go have a seat in the next room," she said pointing behind herself. "Someone will get you in a few minutes."

When he opened the door, there was four teenagers sitting in a circle on top of a table on the other side of the room. "Are they allowed to be doing that?" Tyler thought to himself.

He tried to mind his own business and just sat down in a chair against the wall. There were a few other adults seated in the room, but Tyler couldn't overcome his curiosity. He looked up to the kids talking and laughing across the room.

One girl was Indian and had lot of eyeliner on. The two boys intimidated Tyler. They looked like the jocks that would pretend like he didn't exist at school. Lastly, he saw another girl. Her straight hair was white and she had dark eyes, making his heart jump. She wasn't like some of the girls at school, though, who just made Tyler's pants tight. She was beautiful in a different sort of way. He felt like she was liked more for her personality than for her looks. 

The group started laughing together, which made Tyler feel left out, just like high school. 

His eyes wandered to a worker sitting at a desk by the wall adjacent to him. "Anika Nib- Nibha- Nibhanud?" she said, struggling.

The Indian girl groaned. "Ugh, it's not that hard to say," she mumbled before hopping up and going to the worker. The other kids watched her leave, but their eyes settled on Tyler, just now seeing him.

"Hey, come over here," the white-haired girl said. Tyler's heart raced.

He stumbled over to them slowly. "What's your name?" a boy with dirty blonde hair asked, sitting very close to the white-haired girl, making Tyler a little upset.

"Tyler."

"Did you just get here? Are you staying?"

"Um... yes and yes."

"Sit down, Tyler," the girl said, he gleamed on the inside at the sound of her saying his name. He sat in the circle.

"I'm Winter, this is Ryden," she said pointing to the guy still very close to her, "that's Joey, and over there is Anika." "Did she just say her name was Winter?" Tyler asked himself. At least her appearance fit her name.

"Cool." Tyler just could not help himself from asking. "Are you two... together?"

They laughed. "Ryden is my stepbrother," she said. He felt relieved and embarrassed at the same time.

"Tyler?" a man called from across the room. It was time for him to go.

"See you around, Tyler," Winter smiled. He smiled back and started to walk the other direction.

"Oh, and have fun with the full body exam!" Joey called to him, laughing. Tyler shot back a confused glance, but it wasn't long until he was gently pushed into the next room.

_______

hi, yes, hello. 

this is kind of like a preview. if you guys want this to continue then let me know by voting and commenting! i want to know that people are interested so it will be worth continuing.

thanks for reading!

-katie