Third Book: Us

The third book that I had mentioned in the Epilogue is now posted!  This is the final book in the series and you don't want to know how excited I am to write this!

Here's the preface~

.

.

.

We sit around, waiting, tapping our feet, drumming our fingers. Today is the day that we've been dreading. Today is the day that Ootori Yuuichi's wife, Nagisa will be learning of the sex of her new baby. Today is the day that could change the structure of the Ootori family for the next generation. It's incredibly aggravating that a fifty fifty chance could make or break the plans that have been mused over for months now.

Part of me hopes that the child is a boy, I don't think I'm ready to execute the scheme that we declared suitable when Yuuichi's wife fell pregnant, hell, there's no way that I think I could handle such panic and fear. None of my friends have gotten close to that kind of relationship. Not even my friend Mai, who had actually been in a relationship with her fiancée for several years prior to their marriage two years ago.

Three years has flown by, it doesn't feel like Kyoya and I have been married for this long. I wonder what real marriages are like. I bet that these kinds of decisions are not regarded as schemes for business. These choices would be made for matters of love. It's not that I don't love him anymore, but we have to prioritise the professional aspects of our union. My father clearly had something in mind when he chose Kyoya as my husband.

I glance from Kyoya to my brother and sister in law; Akito and his wife Ruri are sat on the other side of us, Ruri is also pregnant, she's showing. Looks like Yuuchi had the same idea as we did, except Nagisa, from what I've heard, isn't seeing this as anything to do with business. I reckon that she's impartial about the child's gender. And to rub salt in Kyoya's wounds, his oldest brother has completely disregarded the idea that we also have a chance to take this company apart. Despite everything...

We've done a lot since Kyoya's father Ootori Yoshio passed away, giving the company in the three shares that are dependant on each son's age and standing in the hierarchy of siblings, meaning Kyoya and I got the smallest amount of Yoshio's portion of the company. But with my outside influence we have made a difference, cutting the family out of deals that would make masses of money but be beyond immoral. What can I say, Yuuichi is more money corrupted than Kyoya made Yoshio out to be.

Kyoya smiles , a small closed mouthed smile, but still a genuine one, directed at me and only me, pushing up his glasses.

"I'm sure that everything is fine Kuri."

I mirror his behaviour exactly, causing him to laugh quietly and smile at me, an open mouthed one this time. It's silly things like this, that we can do, that makes my best friend Sora so happy. She's amazed by the idea that we could be in such sync.

The door into Ootori Nagisa's ultrasound room opens, Nagisa's crying, and beaming. She looks overjoyed. Kyoya's fingers reach for mine as we wait for someone to ask the all important question.

Silence. A silence so painful and maddening that I swear I can hear the staff in their quarters, discussing current events, gossip, the weather and what not.

It is the crying Nagisa that gives us the verdict. "It's a girl."