Chapter 19: Falling Has A Different Meaning

Почніть із самого початку

"You wanted to discuss something, Professor?" I asked with a slight hint of confusion.

"Yes, Miss Nine, yes, in regards to Mr. Malfoy, he's not showing any signs of improvement with your tutoring so I'm afraid I'll have to fail him. Can you explain why his grade has remained at a constant Troll throughout this year?" The tiny bespectacled man questioned.

"Well, you see, Professor, he's very busy with important matters outside of here. They require his attention and devotion," I tried explaining.

"More important matters than passing Charms? I hope you know there are other areas of his academics were he's also lacking—"

"Not Potions, sir," I interjected defensively.

"—as I was saying some other areas, but this is unacceptable. I have heard from Mr. Malfoy himself that these matters at hand are much more important than school, but he needs to pass these classes. Has he told you or confided anything in you about why he is repeatedly absent from class?" Flitwick asked blandly.

"No, Professor, he's told me nothing. We've only met four times this entire year and none of them were particularly intimate in conversation about his outside activities," I lied.

The word 'intimate' kept ringing in my ears as Flitwick digested my response. We had shared two very intimate moments: one conversation and one kiss. The professor needn't know about that. No one need know about that except Draco and I.

"Very well, Miss Nine, you may go to your next class. Thank you for your honestly," he said.

I managed to muster a weak smile and thank him before exiting his classroom nervously. I had just lied to a teacher and a Head of one of the Houses, no less. Before guilt could get the best of me and march me back into and confess to Flitwick, I sped off to the Astronomy Tower for third period. Part way through Astronomy, it dawned upon me that I had missed breakfast and was extremely hungry. The realization that I had missed breakfast reminded me was I still in deep trouble with Madam Pince and perhaps Professor Sprout. Great. The moment my parents get wind of this, there's a good chance Johnny would be the only one coming back next year. Thankfully, the remainder of third period flew by and so did Transfiguration. Zach slept through McGonagall's lecture on serious side effects of human transformations gone wrong and had to be woken up when it was time for lunch.

I miraculously bumped into Ernie on my way to lunch and he looked quite relieved to see me.

"Where in Merlin's name were you this morning? I didn't see you in the Common Room or at breakfast," he said concernedly.

I shuffled my feet anxiously as we waited to get into the Great Hall.

"Come on, Davis, I was worried!" Ernie prompted me to spill.

"Before I tell you, you've got to promise that you will not judge me," I said while staring intently at my shoelaces.

"Cross my heart."

"Here it goes," I mumbled. "So last night was the fourth night Malfoy and I met in the library to do some more studying. The thing is, it wasn't studying. Not even close."

"Wait, did you and him—?" Ernie started but I cut him off.

"I wasn't finished so save your questions for the end please!" I whispered forcefully as we finally took our normal seats across from one another.

"Whatever, keep going, please."

"Malfoy showed up much later than usual, but he was having trouble concentrating. I stopped trying to teach him and he told me he needed to get to bed because of something he had to do today. Well, how do I put this? Malfoy kissed me and I kissed him back," I finished.