Prologue

Photo is of Stefan Salvatore, played by Paul Wesley.

Prologue

Stefan

"Stefaann."

Uurrgghhhh. What the hell is that, and will it please be quiet. I listened to hear if whatever it was continued. When I didn't hear anything, I snuggled deeper into my pillow.

"Steefaann." I groaned. Why was he in here? Why can't he just let me sleep?

"Stefan, wake up." He flicked my ear with his finger. Although it didn't hurt, it was still annoying.

I rolled over and pulled the covers down off my shoulders and leaned up on my elbows. I slowly opened my eyes to see my brother Damon sitting on the edge of my bed, wearing his trademark smirk.

"What do you want, Damon?" Why does he feel the need to annoy me every chance he gets.

"Well, if you must know brother, me and Alaric were going to the Mystic Grill. We need a change of scenery. And a bar. So I thought I would come up here and ask if my dear little brother would like to join us."

"Why would you want me to come?" I was watching him closely. Trying to figure out why he would ever ask me to come and drink with him and his drinking buddy.

"I just thought that we could have some quality brother bonding time. There's also the fact that you've been sulking in your room ever since blondie rejected you." There it was. As I looked into his eyes, I could see it. The disguised heartache. He was hurting. I guess I didn't expect anything less, it's only been two months since Elena's been gone.

"Caroline didn't reject me. She's regaining control of her life." And she's grieving still. For her mother, and for Elena. I just wished I could make it better somehow.

"You keep telling yourself that Stef. We're leaving now if you're coming." I thought about it. I should probably go, I haven't exactly been out in a while, and I should probably keep an eye on Damon, even though it is eleven in the morning. He can get unpredictable when he's like this. Heartbreak makes him like this and i dont know what he might do now that Elena isn't here to make him want to be a better person, and do the right thing.

"I'll meet you there. I'm gonna shower first." I hadn't showered in a couple days, and I didn't smell too good. I'm sure Damon won't hesitate to tell me.

"Good idea, you stink. See you later brother." With that he got up and left the room, not bothering to shut the door behind him. Typical.

With a groan, I closed my eyes and collapsed back onto the pillow , running my hands over my face and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I really was tired. I didn't get much sleep last night. I was too busy thinking about what I was going to do about Caroline. We hadn't spoken much since what happened with Elena, and I confessed that I was in love with her.

I didn't know what to do. I had given her space, but I don't know what else she wants from me. I just wanted my best friend back. The one I could talk to about anything. The one who didn't judge me and always listened. Right now I couldn't care less if she wanted to be in a relationship or not. I told her I would wait, and I will. I had eternity to wait, but I still need her in my life until then.

I pushed the covers off my body, and swung my legs over the side of the bed as I sat up. I trudged over to my chest of drawers to grab my clothes after I decided that I would go and see Caroline after I had a drink with Damon and Alaric at the Grill.