Chapter 2: Aoi

I shift uncomfortably in my seat and glance at the clock once, twice, and then three times before placing my sweaty hands on the arm rests. Inside of the principles office, the smell of cappuccino lingers from the ceiling to the carpet. The window faces the front of Alice Academy and so you can't help looking out of it just because its such a great perspective of the Sakura trees which are in bloom during early March.

Aoi loves flowers and is most happiest during this time.

The season of Spring.

Many times before, she told me that it signified a new beginning and every single time I flicked her forehead and told her that she was dumb.

Now, recalling those small moments with Aoi, the nostalgic feeling keeps reflecting back at me. 

You fool. I tell myself everyday.

These memories are always happy but in the end, they make me feel useless all over again.

It's hopeless I guess... Thinking of anything happy is like thinking of my sister Aoi.

"Natsume..." I stop tapping my feet. Its been a habit ever since I can remember. "It's very nice to see you." A tall broad man in a business suit greets me with his attractive dimples. They only appear when he smiles from ear to ear which is actually quite often since he fakes being happy for the public. For all I know... every girl in this stupid school has fallen for his 'oh so handsome dimples'. Oh please... He's anything but that. "It's been a while since we've met like this... hasn't it?" His fingers drum against his polished wood desk. His dark eyes analyze my expression. He slumps on his newly bought spinning chair and then decides to lean forward on his elbows; his eyebrows raised. I back up in my chair and stare directly at the intricate clock which only has lines-no numbers- so it makes it harder to count the minutes I've been here for.

"What now?" I mumble through clenched teeth. Whenever he asks for me... it's normally for something big and nasty. "More trash you need me to take out?" I say sarcastically. Little did I know, it was just that.

"Oh... Natsume. You should know by now... It isn't always that simple." He grins in response to my joke. I gag at his sickening composure. A person who can say the sickest thing while remaining calm is delusional. "We've known each other for quite some time and I believe I can offer you a great deal."

He never offers a great deal, or much of a deal at all.

"Get on with it." I hiss and wished that my very own chair could spin at that moment because at that moment he gives me an irritated look. "I'm done playing games with you Bastard."

S-l-a-p

A stinging sensation is left after he has launched his hand across my face; it's stings even more since this time his nails were extended like a feline.

I clenched my teeth then and held my right cheek with my hand, my fresh wound irritating instantly.

I don't say a single word.

I have nothing to apologize for.

But I did decide to keep quiet.

The only thing that was holding me back was the thought of my sister in the hands of-that horrible man-The leader of a notorious group, known as the deadliest man on earth.

He sighed deeply then; whenever an outburst came out of me, it was a nuisance for him. For some reason, he was drained after using an ounce of force on me.

"I don't have time for this, lets get back to business." He takes out his papers and places them in front of me. As I continue to hold my cheek, I also take a peek in front of me. It's the file of a smiling girl with her hair in twin pigtails. She looks about the same age as me and it gives me chills.

A million thoughts come pouring out of my head. What exactly does he want this time? Does he want me to capture this girl? Just what is his intention with her and what does he want me to do about it?! 

"Natsume... you know this school is unlike any of the others... We are superior and we rule with pride, dignity, and power. In fact, Alice Academy is the definition of power itself."

I roll my eyes at his statement but nonetheless listen to his garbage.

I place my other hand against the armrest as I prepare myself for the mission he's about to assign me. "What does that have to do with this girl here? She doesn't even go here." I point her out and face him with raised eyebrows.

"You see, that girl has led countless rebellions against the Academy and has been successful with protesting their cause. It's an organization known as the Anti-Alice Organization."

I snicker, "Oh I see. She's a threat to you. Wow, you've really gotten low haven't you?"

"Please listen." He interrupted and sipped out of his 'I am boss' mug. "I do need you to assassinate her but for a completely different reason."

I lean in my chair and cup a hand behind my ear to catch every word he's saying.

Wait Assassinate he said?

"Do you know what Alice she possesses?"

"Uh... and how would I know that?" I snort, "Just go on ahead, and tell me how I have anything to do with this."

"Nullification, stealing, and the Insertion Alice." I literally choke on air as he says it. This pig-tailed girl possesses this many Alice's? And one of which the Principle has been looking for?! I cannot believe this... and he wants ME to assassinate her...

"But sir... don't you need her?!" It's something that's been on my mind recently. He's been looking for someone with the Stealing Alice for a LONG time. How can he pass up an opportunity like this?!

"I have tried to persuade her to come over to our side but it's useless. Besides she's been hospitalized for quite some time now."

"Then we can capture her and-"

"There's really nothing we can do now."

I'm starting to feel bad for this girl but she really does sound like a threat for the Principal. Only, I can't get the idea out of my head that the Principal wants her dead. Why?

"Wha-" I stop and sink my nails in my palms, my skin turning white and flushed with blood. "Why kill her then?"

"Because everyone wants her. She's an indestructible weapon needed by all and she's only on one side. She's a stubborn one she is." There is a glint of attraction in his eyes; something tells me that he has some sort of connection with this girl.

"Sir... I still don't understand-" I rub my brows together as my thoughts rush together. It's really hard trying to figure out why he wants to kill her. It'd be way easier to capture her and use her. I mean come on... Luna can use her mind control Alice. Then I remember that she has the nullification Alice. What good would anything do?

"This is what I want you to do Natsume. Listen closely...

As you can see from these documents... she is being hospitalized as of yesterday and she will continue to be supervised for a couple of months so you have plenty of time for the assassination. You must pose as a helping hand to her and offer her your help as she's being hospitalized. During those months of posing as an assistant, you will gain her trust and finally you'll be close enough to be alone together and that's when you'll assassinate her. You only move on with the plan when you know that you've completely earned her trust. Did you get all that?" I nod uncomfortably and face the floor with pursed lips.

"What's in it for me?" I clear my throat, the tension in this room is making my mouth dry. My hands start to shake before he can utter a word.

"If you succeed in this mission I have given you, I will grant forever your sister, Aoi Hyuuga, freedom for as long as she lives."