Chatper 15: The Three Musketeers Return

ابدأ من البداية

"Excellent!" Dad said smacking his lips.

"Use a napkin, Fred," Mum said clearing away the dishes.

After the kitchen was cleaned up, we crowded into the living room to watch a re-run of How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Johnny fell asleep halfway through, so Mum carried him to bed and the three of us finished the movie. Mum and Dad wished me good night and retired to their room and I to mine.

When I had brushed my teeth and showered, I was laying in bed on YouTube when there was an abrupt tap at my window. I dropped my phone and stared over at my window. The shape of something with wings flapped outside in the snowy weather. I cautiously approached the window and rolled up the blind. A black eagle owl stared back at me with a package in its beak. I took a deep breath and opened the window. The owl and a couple inches of snow flew in so I instantly closed it. The owl perched on my bed and dropped the package and then ruffled its feathers. I went over to my bed and picked up the package. A simple letter was attached to the outside with my name written in neat handwriting: Davis Nine.

"Who would send me something this late? Ernie's invitation always comes the day of whatever he's inviting me to and this is definitely not his writing," I muttered opening the envelope.

A single piece of folded parchment slid out into my hand and I scanned the two sentences that were scripted in the same neat hand:

'Davis, I'm passing Charms thanks to you. Happy Christmas.'

No signature was found anywhere on the letter, but I knew who it was. I was very surprised that Draco Malfoy had sent me a Christmas present. I looked over at the owl still perched atop my comforter and then over at the small package. Maybe I should wait until tomorrow to open it. Curiosity got the better of me and I undid the wrappings to discover a tiny black box. Opening the lid, my eyes were greeted with the sight of a silver necklace with a badger charm.

I was about to take it out of the box when I remembered the last necklace he had a hand in delivering. That one had almost killed Katie Bell; I wasn't going to risk touching this. I tucked the box, wrappings, and letter under my bed and let the owl back out into the cold night. Shaking my head, I climbed back under the covers and slept peacefully.

Johnny again woke me up this morning by announcing at the top of his lungs today was Christmas and that I needed to wake up. He poked my shoulder until I sat up in bed and glared at him.

"Davis!" He shouted for no apparent reason.

"Johnny!" I hissed back. "It's 7:30am, why are you making this much noise?!"

"Come on, Mum and Dad are waiting downstairs with presents! Plus your invitation to your boyfriend's dinner party came a few minutes ago!" He said happily.

"All right, just let me get dressed and I'll be right down," I told Johnny.

"You are dating him!" Johnny shouted from the doorway.

"No! I'm not dating Zach or Ernest!" I said.

"Are you sure?"

"Why would I not be?" I asked searching for a clean pair of jeans.

"Because you like them," he taunted.