Chapter Thirteen: Eye of The Storm

Start from the beginning

Something cool is resting against the heated skin of my forehead making me sigh with ease as my eyes flutter open. The room is a bit hazy for a couple seconds as my eyes adjust to the light in the room. I find myself suddenly staring up into Valerie's scowling face as she removes the damp cloth from my face, "You know you might be a lot more trouble than you're worth..." She mumbles to me.

I tilt my head to see her dipping the cloth into a bowl of water and wringing it out. I feel my lips turn down into a frown, "Than why are you helping me?" I ask in a soft voice. Valerie turns her attention back to me not meeting my gaze as she places the soothing cloth to my face with surprising gentleness, "I'm not doing this for you." She finally meets my gaze. I can see that she means what she says and I feel my frown change into a small smirk before I close my eyes, "Its for Silvers benefit then." At least that's what her words implied and it was something I could live with. I didn't care if the woman liked me or not but I knew she would never betray Silver and therefore she would never betray me. 

"How long have I been out?"

"About a day..." She replies before pulling back a distance with a tired sigh. I turn my head and open my eyes to look at her again, noticing now how tired and frazzled she looks. I feel a swell of concern for her even though we seem to have a strange relationship I am thankful that she has clearly helped in nursing me back.

"Much faster than the last time..." I mumble as I look back to the ceiling overhead.

"The Last time? Does this happen often?" She questions in confusion. 

I shrug my shoulders before I lift myself up using my elbows as support, "Can I see Silver?" I turn the conversation towards something else. Valerie's eyes narrow before she heaves a heavy breath, "If you can walk to him on your own then by all means, but don't think I'm going to help you."

I shot her a smile knowing that if I needed help she would help me she was just being difficult, "Awesome..." I pull myself up and out of the bed without much of a struggle. My limbs feel a bit weak and shaky but it's all just side effects. The forced sleep has definitely helped me regain more of my strength. I stagger forward a bit gaining a look of annoyance from Valerie before I straighten myself up, smiling. I walk across the bedroom that they must have carried me too and out the door. Valerie is trailing behind me mumbling unintelligible things under her breath.

It takes me a moment to find the infirmary because the house is clouded with Silvers scent. When I reach the room the door is open and the rest of the pack is hanging about. Bunny and Marshall are snuggled up together near the supplies cabinet whispering amongst each other. Leo is sitting near the window staring out it with a rather bored look on his face while Libra is cleaning up the mess that had been made of her room. The attention in room seemed to switch when I passed through the threshold. All of them turned and looked toward me, "Hello..." I say and lift my hand in a awkward greeting. 

Silver's head snaps up off his pillow at the sound of my voice. His eyes eat up the length of my body before settling on my face. I try to keep myself calm but the heat is already rushing to my cheeks as I remember that I am now undoubtedly this mans mate. His claim stands out against my skin like a beacon for the rest of the world. As if he is reading my thoughts a low rumble echoes through the room and I clench my legs together when I feel my body responding to the sound. 

 Someone clears their throat, "Should we leave the room or..." Leo suggests only causing embarrassment to flood through me that the others had probably scented my reaction to Silver.

"Shut the hell up Leo!" Marshall growls at his pack mate which makes me want to laugh a bit.

Valerie pushes past me into the room bumping shoulders with me as she did. My wolf wanted me to snatch her back and force her to submit to me but I held back. Valerie wasn't a threat to us. She was just another she-wolf who had a chip on her shoulder that most likely had absolutely nothing to do with me. She walked across the room to Silver, "How you feeling chief?"