Chapter 18

- Mathew's POV -

A loud beeping noise went off beside my head, awakening me in a very unpleasant and annoying way. I slammed my hand down on the alarm clock beside the bed and looked at the time.

Five thirty in the morning.

I looked to the other side of me and saw Kenji curled up by my side not even noticing his alarm had gone off. I softly smiled at his adorable figure and brushed his hair off his face. I lightly nudged his shoulder trying to wake him.

"Kenji, time to get up." He mumbled something in response but it was in audible to hear, probably because he also shoved his head into my side in attempt to go back asleep. "You gotta get up come on."

"Can we sleep for a little longer?" His soft voice said ringing through my ears.

"I wish but we have to get everything ready, you have your show today remember."

He instantly jumped up. "Shit I forgot that was today!" He said in a panic and climbed over top of me in a hurry.

I grabbed his waist quickly and stopped him. "Come here." I pulled him towards me and made him turn around to face me.

"Matt I-"

"Shush." I said cutting him off. I used my arm to push my self off the bed just enough to reach his lips and softly kiss him. "Take a deep breath okay." I said to calm him down, I know his anxiety was a little over the top.

He took a couple breaths and re collected himself. A sudden knock on his door made him jump.

"Hun come on get up, its show day." His moms voice echoed through the house. Kenji quickly grabbed his clothes and ran to bathroom to shower and get his stuff ready while I went to help Kenji's mom with loading Shaymin in the trailer and getting all their stuff together and put away.

By the time we had everything packed and finally left it was just past six thirty. Pretty good timing if you ask me.

It didn't take long to arrive at the show grounds and it was already chock full with horses, riders and trailers. We pulled into our site and went straight to getting Shay groomed and tacked for the show, making sure his mane and tail were plated (Kenji's mom did that), his legs were wrapped and his saddle and bridle where polished to perfection.

I guess its not just about getting judged on your ride its also about your performance and how you and your horse look together. Seems way to complicated to me.

Kenji finally returned from registering and getting his number, as well as changing into his show attire. He looked very adorable dressed up all fancy. He too had to look polished and perfect with a black show jacket, cream coloured riding pants (or jodhpurs I found out there are called) with black riding gloves, shiny black riding boots and his number pinned to the back of his jacket. Oh and a helmet to of course.

Man horse showing takes a lot of work and Kenji hasn't even gone into the ring yet. I couldn't stand to do this for a living but then again Im not much of a horse back rider. Im more of a motorcycle kinda guy, at least you dont have to clean up after them.

A voice over the intercom announced the practice ring was now open for the Hunter Jumper devision which Kenji had entered in.

"Okay hun, head over to the ring and start warming up, Ill be right with you I just have a couple things I need to check over." Kenji nervously nodded his head and collected Shaymin's reins, I walked over to give him a quick kiss. When I pulled away he was blushing fifty shades of red.

Adorable.

"Mathew I need to talk to you for a minuet." Kenji's mom whispered to me when Kenji started to head over to the warm up ring. She walked over to the truck, grabbed an envelope and walked back over to me. "I found this in the mail yesterday morning. I wasn't sure if I should let you read this, but I figured you had the right to see it." She handed me the envelope and before she did anything else she said "You have made my son very happy. I just want you to know, you will always have a home here. "

She then walked off in the direction of the warm up ring to be with Kenji. I looked down at the envelope in my hands flipping it over to see who its from.

It read 'To Mathew" on the front with a Canada, Ontario stamp on the top right corner. I opened the already ripped envelope and pulled out a letter, quickly skimming through it when I stopped on the last page.

At the bottom of the paper was signed. Dad ...