The Love Triangle of Alec, Alex, and Johnny

(The Cover is from left to right, Johnny Alex and Alec. The picture on the right is Alec and then Johnny when they were younger.)

The Love Triangle of Alec, Johnny, and Alex

Speakers blasting, always to loudly, Alec and Johnny were speeding down the main street, wishing to escape the two horse town and escape Alec's little sister by three years in the backseat screaming her lungs out trying to get them to turn it down. Johnny screeched to a halt on the bridge that was the only in or out of town. Laughing they jumped out of the car leaving it on and popping the trunk. Alec grabbed the two beers left in the cooler and threw one at Johnny.  

"Alec...where'd you get those? You're going to get into such trouble." Alex's voice was almost creeping to hysterics. Johnny took a swig while rolling his eyes, Alec laughed leaning into his sister.  

"Not if somebody doesn't tell...I don't think I'm talking about Johnny." The beer sputtered out of Johnny's mouth as his hyena like laughter spilled the beer all over himself. Alex pouted at her sixteen year old brother.  

"That's not funny."  

"Not to you," The remark sent a whole new round of laughter. Alex walked back to the passenger side of the Sedan and sat down thinking about how she would get them back one day, just they wait.  

Johnny jumped up on the wall of the bridge and stumbled, Alex's breath caught in her throat while Alec just laughed. By this time they were both way too tipsy to be dancing on the edge of a bridge that had, let's face it, seen better days but against Alex's better judgment that's what they were doing. The crisp July night was no night to be dancing drunk on a crumbling bridge the week before had been terrible with storms and the storms had swollen the river to twice its regular size and made the current stronger then it would have been had it not been hailing the week before.  

Alex sat there watching her older brother and his best friend since before she could remember dance like the drunk idiots they were, gasping every time they became unbalanced or were in danger of going over the edge. Sitting there she smiled at the thought that they might be drunk but on the bright side every time she thought of drinking she'd remember this night and how they would be her homage to anti-drug commissions everywhere. She could see the commercial now, 'My brother and his idiot friend my anti-drug.' She'd go home and paint a picture of this and it would win her a position in a famous art gallery. An homage to drunk dancing and how it should be outlawed.  

She didn't know they were getting drunk on purpose. At least another one than to just be drunk. They were hiding behind a façade of happy emotions. Behind them they were afraid. This day they went to the beach about 30 minutes out of town Alec's dad was at work and his mom was expecting and couldn't watch Alex so they had to take her with them.  

No one expected it, all was quiet this night, besides the drunken merriment. All the clouds were barely moving against the night sky, beaming with moonlight and starlight enhanced by the darkness that surrounded the small town. When a gust of strong wind blew from the southeast Alec held onto a post where he was standing by, laughing wildly, Alex screamed and jumped up and ran towards where Johnny was thrashing his arms about trying to grab onto someone. Alec and Alex grabbed his arms but being thirteen and being a little bit tipsy they weren't strong enough to hold on to Johnny.  

He slipped from their grasp into the thrashing water below. Alec and Alex's eyes widened and Johnny braced for impact by squeezing his eyes shut and flinging his arms around trying to fly. Alex screamed as Alec dove into the icy water. Alex couldn't see either of them any more but concluded that they would end up on the west side of the bank and ran to greet them grabbing a couple of towels from a beach trip that hadn't gotten put in the wash or even in the house, they'd have to do.