Chapter Seven

Two weeks later, Sophie woke up to the sound of her cell phone ringing.

She sat up, groaning, and picked it up.
It was Adam. He had already left her 8 messages and 4 missed calls.

She got up to her cupboard, where she had put the things that Adam and Amanda had brought her. She rummaged through it, finally finding a pregnancy test.

In the last two weeks, this was already the third stick she was peeing on. The result came up almost immediately.

Pregnant, 1-2 weeks.

She stared at it, emotion rising up inside her. She leaned against the wall of the bathroom.

She was going to have the baby of the man her love was married to.

For the next nine months, she was going to carry his baby.

As she exited the bathroom, she realised she was unsure whether she should laugh or cry.

'Adam,' Amanda called, just as he was about to leave for work.

'Yes?' he turned.

'Don't tell anyone. Not yet.'

'Why not? We are going to have a baby! I want to tell the whole world!'

'But we might not.'

She was feeling it again: the terror of having something to lose.

'Sophie won't change her mind - '

Amanda cut his sentence. 'She might. But even if she doesn't, plenty of things can still go wrong.'

'They won't.' He kissed the tip of her nose.

Because it was Sophie who was going to have his baby this time, not her.

'I think it's still to early to say that. She has never had a baby before, after all.'

'But don't you want to tell your friends?' Adam was having the same feeling again, like he often had in the last two weeks, that something about Sophie having their baby was terribly bothering his wife.

'I don't. And I don't want you to tell anyone right now either.'

When Adam did not reply, she understood. 'You already have, haven't you?'

'Just a couple of them.' He waited for her to say anything, but when she didn't, he continued, 'Everything is going to be fine.'

'I hope so. I don't know why, but I don't have a good feeling about this. It's like everything has happened so soon.'

'Because it was meant to be.'

'So were all the babies we have lost.'

'I thought we agreed that this was the best thing to do,' Adam said quietly.

'I agreed that it was the only thing to do.'

'Why can't you just be happy for once?'

Amanda stared at him. In all the years that they have been married, it was the first time that Adam had raised his voice at her. 'Because she is carrying your baby, and I am not.'

'I'm getting late. I have to go,' said Adam, and left, before she could say anything.

Until she said it out loud, she did not realise how jealous she had felt of Sophie.

And now, even long before Sophie gave birth to the child, she had managed to make Adam angry at her.
Suddenly, Amanda hated her best friend. She hated the woman who was giving her husband what she could not.

That night, when Sophie went out for dinner with Adam and Amanda, she noticed how quiet Amanda was. Adam seemed excited, and did most of the talking. He was too happy to notice that his wife was not, but Sophie did notice. She was wondered if Amanda had changed her mind about the baby, which would suck for her, Adam, and of course, the baby.
When Adam's cell phone rang, he said, 'Excuse me, I have to take this,' and left Sophie alone with Amanda.

'What's wrong?' Sophie asked.

'Nothing.'

'I've known you long enough to know when something is wrong.'

'Trust me, it's nothing. I am happy.' Amanda smiled.

Although Sophie was not convinced, she did not press the topic any further. 'How could you not be? You and Adam have been waiting so long for this baby.'

'Yes.'

'Well, only nine more months.'

Amanda tried to smile, but she couldn't, but thankfully Sophie did not notice, because just then, Adam returned.

'So, do you want to stay a vegetarian throughout the pregnancy?' Adam asked.

Sophie nodded; she didn't, but she had to, because that was what Amanda wanted.

'You'll also have to take additional supplements to ensure the baby gets everything.'

'I am.'

Adam grinned at Sophie and put an arm around her neck. 'I cannot tell you how thankful I am to have you in my life.'

Sophie smiled at him, but when she looked at Amanda, her smile froze. Amanda was starring at Adam and Sophie, a frown on her face.

Sophie cleared her throat. 'Excuse me. I need to go to the restroom.'

Adam helped her by pulling back her chair for her, and as she got up, she saw Amanda's face. There was only one thing Sophie saw in Amanda's eyes that moment: disgust.