31 - It Ends In A Library

Start from the beginning

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

The library was oddly busy when I walked in. By busy I simply mean, there were more than three people there. I immediately rushed over to Porus’s desk and greeted him. He looked up from the book he was checking in looking mildly surprised.

“Out of the house finally?”

“Yes,” I breathed out. “I’m actually happy to be here for once!”

Porus feigned offense. “The library is the best place in the world.”

“If you’re boring,” I agreed. “Put me to work! I need something to do that doesn’t involve sitting around!”

Porus cocked his head to the side but nodded. He stood up from his desk and walked over to a rolling, shelved cart full of books.

“These all have to be filed back into their correct areas. I was going to do it but I have other things I could be doing. How about you start with that?”

I agreed quickly happy to actually have something to do. I knew it sounded weird that I was actually excited to work but after a long time of doing nothing, it was kind of nice to have a purpose again.

I went to work filling away the books with titles that I had never heard of. I was in the historical section when someone called out to me.

“Oh my God,” a girls voice said. I turned toward it but didn’t recognize her face. “You’re Avena, the hidden secret of Athena!”

“Is that what they’re calling me?” I asked mildly horrified.

“I wanted to say that you are awesome! I mean, having to keep that secret your whole life had to be pretty horrible. I could never imagine never telling anyone about my own mother,” she sympathized.

I nodded slowly unsure of what my answer should be. I lamely muttered, “Yeah, it was difficult.”

“I bet,” the girl agreed. “I’ve been coming to this place for a long time hoping to get to glance at you. This was listed as a popular hangout spot for you. I can’t believe I’m actually getting to meet you.”

I looked at this strange girl skeptically. Did she realize that we lived in Olympus where there were tons of more interesting people around?

“I’m not all that great but thanks,” I replied just as Porus came around the corner of one of the huge bookshelves. The girl scurried away once she spotted him and I stared after her.

“I told you once before that Olympians go crazy for any story. Not many interesting things happen here especially with young people. Olympians just eat that stuff up,” Porus explained once he noticed what I was staring at. “A lot of people have come in here hoping to see you. You are the newest celebrity and people are going to be interested.”

“Oh.”

Porus smiled at my answer. “I was coming to check on you and make sure you weren’t getting pestered. There are a lot of people hoping to catch just a glimpse of you.”

“I’ll be fine.” I waved him away while grabbing the next book from the rolling cart and checking the title and author before filing it on the right shelf. “I’ll holler if anything goes horribly wrong.”

Porus nodded smiling mischievously before walking off. I lost him the many long shelves covered with books.

A while later I was working the Romance section filing away the most books out of the cart. I had just finished putting away one novel that I had never heard off and went to grab the next one when I felt a familiar red felt. I ran my hand over the cover feeling the gold lettering: ‘Cupid’s Granddaughter’.