2: Enoch O'Connor

I sit up in bed, fed up with my inability to have a good nights sleep. Rubbing blearily at my eyes, I read the red flashing numbers across my clock. 3:05.
I look over at my roommate, Emma, envying her peaceful state of rest. She's probably dreaming pleasant nothings about her and Jacob frolicking through a field of daisies or some type of fantasy such as the sort.

How I wish I could be dreaming about frolicking through fields with a different special someone...

Enoch and have a, (pun intended), peculiar relationship. We're best friends, but sometimes the romantic tension between us is almost unbearable.

Don't get me wrong, we have had those we-are-almost-holding-hands-but-if-asked-about-it-we-would-completely-deny-it moments, and don't forget about the I-am-leaning-in-and-so-are-you-but-we-both-try-to-brush-it-off-like-nothing-happened.

I look over at Emma to make sure she's still sound asleep, and with a quiet determination I throw my quilt off of me and in about four seconds of intense deliberation I'm on my way. I'm probably going to regret this so much tomorrow...

I slowly inch myself off of my bed without making any noise. I have to make sure to not wake Emma because she already is suspicious of Enoch and I, and her catching me sneaking to his room at 3:00 in the morning wouldn't help my statement that Enoch and I are just friends.

I make it to the door and gently push it open, wincing as it creaks loud enough to wake her.

Luckily, Emma could sleep through a bomb raid. (Pun intended. Again)

I step out into the hallway, my arms forming goosebumps at the difference in temperature. I shut the door, this time without it creaking, and start my descent down the hallway.

It's dark and quiet, the only sound sound audible is my bare feet padding against the cold hardwood floor.

I finally make it to the end of the hallway to Enoch's room. I stare at his door for awhile trying to work up the courage to go inside.
What am I so afraid of? Enoch will understand I couldn't sleep, and before Emma and I became roommates he'd come to my room about a million times for the same reason.

I need to man up, but something about that boy just makes me so nervous.

I take a deep breath, and slowly turn the door handle. Gently, I push open the door just enough for me to squeeze through.

I quickly step into his room and quietly shut the door behind me. I squint into the inky black darkness, hoping my eyes will adjust soon. I take slow steps, hoping that I don't trip over one of his many glass mason jars filled with hearts, eyes, and lungs. My eyes slowly start to adjust, and I can make out Enoch's small frame rhythmically rising and falling as he takes each breath. I take him in for a moment, hesitant to wake him from such a peaceful state. His light blonde hair, slightly sprawled out on the pillow like a halo; his mouth slightly agape and to me, utterly adorable.

I can't sit here and stare at him all night, (which I really wouldn't mind at all), so I take a step forward and place my hands on his shoulder and ever so slightly shake him awake.  I am so grateful that Enoch is the only person in the house without a roommate, with the exception of Miss Peregrine.

"Wha- what time is it?" He mumbles, still groggy from sleep.
"Um, it'sthreesomethingandIcantsleepandIwaswonderingifIcouldsleepinhereeithyou," I say. He sits up in bed and scoots over, making room for me. I quickly dive under the covers and press myself against him. He drapes his arm over my waist and I cuddle into his chest. "How did you understand any of that?" I ask, my mouth curled into a grin. He lets out a soft laugh. It's one of those rare laughs, the ones only I've heard.

He looks down at me. "I didn't." he says. He leans down a fraction of an inch, and I lean up, the distance between us slowly closing. There is just enough moonlight shining in through the window that I can see the true colour of his eyes; a light blue, just slightly green around the edges.

We both stop leaning. We are so close that I can hear his heartbeat, but still not close enough for our lips to touch. "Are you going to kiss me or not?" He asks, mischief gleaming in his eyes. I smile and put my hand on his face, softly pushing him down against me. Our lips brush, and electricity shoots from the top of my head down to my toes. I can't even remember why I was so nervous, or why I even came in here at all. We pull apart and look at each other. Enoch smiles and puts his hand on the back of my neck pulling me back down to his lips.
We connect again, this time with open mouths and and racing hearts.

. "I love you," I say. "Yeah, yeah, I love you too. Lets not get too mushy, you know I can't stand it." He says with a small grin. There's the Enoch I know and love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that, I had no trouble falling asleep, but was a bit difficult to explain why I was asleep in Enoch's bed to Miss Peregrine the following morning.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
WHOOP
don't forget to leave suggestions!!

~Cat