Chapter 6

I unfold my map and look for the kitchen. I take it and put it on my desk so I can change my clothes, I decided on Jean shorts and a flowy top, I pull my shirt over my head, open the curtain and brush my hair down with my hands since I don't own a brush. I grab my map and rush out of my room and run down the halls. Running gets me places faster, plus good exercise. I open the door to this huge room with so many tables and a ton of people like me. I walk down an aisle to find some spot to sit "Hey Pay-" I look toward the sound of my name and see the two boys sitting, I look around the room and see some people staring at me and some at Ryker. "I mean 00X" he finishes his wave since he froze with his hand in mid air. "Hey guy's" I smile and sit next to Ryker. The air smells wonderful. It smells like food, so it is a pleasant smell. Ryker smells of sunshine, if sunshine had a smell, it would smell of lemons and freshly cut grass, that's what Ryker smells like right now, I can't help but lean closer to get a better whiff of it. "What are you doing?" I open my eyes and realize I'm inches away from his chest, this probably looks awkward, but I can't help if I'm short and my face only goes to his chest when we're sitting. "Sorry, you just smelt really good... so... I" I look around and see most eyes are on me. This is a little embarrassing. I turn away quickly and bit my lip "Brady" I look up at him from across the table and tuck my loose hair behind my ear. I wonder why I'm getting weird looks? I hope they stop soon cause I don't like it. "Yeah?" He raises an eyebrow "Please" I whisper "You have to switch me spots" He shrugs and stands, I stand at the same time, I walk around the table and almost trip. Was I always this clumsily? I catch my balance and sit down. "You're playing with your hair" I stop moving my hands and look to see, I am indeed playing with my hair. What's this feeling inside of me? And it only happens when people stare at me. I feel a lump in my throat every time someone looks at me, Am I nervous? Do they think I'm ugly? It must be because of my bruises right? So many questions running around in my head. I feel a finger doing circular motion on my forehead like last night, I look around to see some of the girls stare wide eyed and some of the other girls glare. I feel threatened. "Hey, look at me." My eyes have a hard time moving away from the girls, but eventually, my eyes lock with Ryker's "No need to be nervous" He smiles and moves his hand to cup my cheeks "I'm not nervous, what makes you think that?" I laugh but it comes out more of a nervous laugh, I move my eyes from his and see more glares "Hey I said look at me" Ryker says but not in a mean way. I feel pain in my cheeks and look back at him "What are you doing?" My voice comes out muffled "Pinching your cheeks" he says with a smile. His eyes look a beautiful dark blue in this lighting. "Why?" I tilt my head. He drops his hands and sits back down, what's his problem? I just shrug it off not really my business. "You know what I'm not that hungry," the boys say in unison "Then let's go back to my place and hang out. I don't think I have anything to do today so it sounds like a good plan" I stand before they can answer I walk around the table and grab their hands. They follow while I lead "Hey!" I turn to see a girl stand from her table and walk toward us "You can't just drag them along, they don't even know you. So what gives you the right to drag them to your room!" she yells. She has a beautiful long slick tail and delicate ears, and they're a lovely light blonde just like her hair, she has pretty brown human eyes, cougar she's has to be, I'm jealous. "Well, I've known them since yesterday if that counts" she starts laughing and so does the crowd "Listen to me, little girl." She bends down to my height and whispers "Stay away from them" She unscrews her water bottle cap and pours her water on me. What did I do? Maybe I can fix it if I ask "Did I do something to you to make you hate me?" I say as she pours the last little bit of water on me "You must be stupid! And I bet that's how you got those bruise you said or did something wrong and" she pauses putting on hand on her hip and pointing at the boys with the other "They punished you for it" I shake my head. She's wrong they didn't do this to me. "They wouldn't hurt me"

"Ha! That's what you think" She leans down and whispers again "Look at you" I look at my hand and my eyes move back to her's "What makes you think your so special? Do you see anyone else in here with animal eyes" I stop to look around as everyone stares. No they don't, am I the only one? "And your teeth" I look at the ground. This can't be happening. I feel my teeth I have two sharp teeth on bottom and on top. "And" Here comes more "you look like a 13 year old girl" Am I ugly? That's what she must be telling me, I just got an answer to one of my questions. I get a sinking feeling in my stomach and I put my hand there, I feel tears coming but not here I won't cry here. She stands straight up again "Is she right?" I question everyone in the room. I feel myself being dragged out of my room and down the halls. I get sat on my bed as someone kneels in front of me. My hair and my new clothes are wet. "Are you okay?" I nod "Yeah" I tilt my head "Why do you ask?" Ryker pushes himself back, he puts his knees up and rest his arms on them while he hides his face. I move and sit next to him copying his sitting motion "Why do you always sit like this?" I can hear him breath, In, Out, In, Out nice deep breathes. He stands and I did too. I stand in front of him. He looks down at me and I look up at him, he takes a step forward and I take one back, this goes on until my back hits the wall and I can no longer move, he puts on of his hands next to my head on the wall "Why? Why do you make me feel this way?" I'm confused, what way do I get him to feel? And way is he pinning me against the wall? "What?" He bites his lip and puts his other hand on my cheek, Heat rises to my cheeks and I feel dizzy. His face comes closer to mine "What are you doing?" I ask his face inches away from mine, so close I can feel his breath on my cheek. He smiles "I shouldn't be doing this" his face gets closer but he puts his forehead against mine "You're burning" I say "So are you" he chuckles a little "Are you sick?" Our eyes stay locked on each other. I can feel my heart racing. How do I make him feel? What's going on? So many questions are running through my head. "Are you?" He asks. I can't speak, why? We stay there for several minutes "How do I make you feel?" He moves both hands to my cheeks and we slide down to the floor together, our foreheads never leaving each other "Payton?" I didn't realize I was looking at the ground. I can still feel his breath against my cheeks. It's getting hot in here, I start taking quicker breaths to try and cool myself down "Mhm" I look back up at him, my hands shake like crazy "Do you know what Love is?" I pull my forehead away from his and think, Love? Never heard of it. I shake my head disappointed that I don't know, I don't like to disappoint. "Well, that's what I feel for you" I nod trying to understand, but I just can't get it. "Is it a strong feeling?" I need to learn about this "Love" so I can understand it better. He must have thought is was a funny question cause he laughed "Love can make people do crazy things. I think I need to lay down" he goes to my bed, lays down and let's out a sigh. I go lay next to him. "I feel like I've confessed my feelings for you all over again." He laughs, and I can't help but smile. "And the second time is no easier than the first" he lets out a deep breath "Payton, I love you" I feel something weird and fuzzy in my chest and stomach "So, Payton, can I kiss you?" Kiss? Me? I sit up then something in my mind snaps and everything goes dark.