Chapter Sixteen: Falling

Start from the beginning

I start to flick through the pages again, remembering the opening chapter telling me something about the waterfall. What had it said? Something important. Something that niggles the back of my mind, telling me there's another way to win this. Hadrian's annoying voice bursts through my thoughts as I focus.

'Leave it to me. You don't know anything.'

He tries to take the book from me, but I push away from him, furious now. He's controlling and condescening and I had been right all along. Pompous ass! 

'Don't you dare treat me like that!' I shout, shaking with subdued anger. 'I gave my life for this, I have a right to know what's going on! I'm not stupid.'

Hadrian looks at me coldly. 'You act like it.'

I seethe, but I allow the silence that echoes by, pretending to be engrossed in the textbook. Instead, the opening chapter washes over me as my brain is pounded by hundreds of dark, angry thoughts.

He doesn't respect me. I'm just a game to him. He'll never involve me in his work. 

Those three in particular keep circling around and attacking once more. 

Pompous ass. Irritating, despicable ass. Thinks he can sway me with his charms. Ass.

It half worked, a nasty voice reminds me. I hush it. I will not be fooled again.

Hadrian's anger is softening, and his glare changes to an unhappy look, the kind that realises he's said something wrong and needs to apologise. But he still stays silent, instead going to sit on his bed by the discarded towel, head on his hand. 

'The letters were all a lie, weren't they?' I ask suddenly, glancing up at him to catch his expression. Hearing my question, I see his face flicker with guilt. He was lying. 'You were never going to let me go out reaping with you, you just wanted to buy time...'

I wait, desperate that he'll protest, or deny my claims. He doesn't.

Hadrian sighs. 'I want you to go through the waterfall, not take on my battles.'

I'm bubbling with fury, but something about his words catches my attention. Through the waterfall. 

What?

'It's too dangerous. Humans shouldn't pass back into the mortal world, it leaves you open to become all manner of things. Ghouls, poltergeists...'

Through the waterfall...what else was there?

I stare down at the book, focusing my thoughts, when I realised I was staring right at it.

'...and you could end up being used as one of the dead against me!'

The book says,"Necromancers can be created, but it is extremely risky. They must travel beyond the waterfall and return, a feat said to be impossible for all but the King...". 

Beyond the waterfall and return, making me a necromancer. I wouldn't need to have sex with Hadrian to get power. I could have my own. 

I glance at the sexy haired man still ranting, and roll my eyes. Screw him. I had survived death, how hard could it be to do a second time?

I slam the book shut, making Hadrian jump. I sashay over to him, swinging my hips confidently, and giving him a lazy smile. 'I agree,' I say, placing the book in his hands. 'I don't need your help anymore. I think I will just go through the waterfall.'

Hadrian looks relieved, then confused. 'You're leaving? Just like that?'

'Right now,' I nod.

I stare down at my ugly dress. 'Except I can't die in this. Hang on.'