Chapter 1

*~*~*3RD PERSON*~*~*

Thirteen year old Violet Evergreen sat in her room, staring out the window longingly, trying to see past the bars that were placed.

"Nobody trusts me here," She muttered and stood up, striding out of the room and into the one next to it, "MUM?"

"Yes, Violet?"

She heard her mother's voice coming from the bathroom, slightly muffled and tired.

"Why do I have bars on my window?" She sighed.

"Because, Vi, dear, you're the youngest-"

"But why?" Violet asked, sounding exasperated, "Why am I the youngest?"

"Because you were born into the house of the Evergreens, who are known for being Death Eaters, starting at the age of thirteen," Her mother said sternly.

Violet muttered something quietly under her breath, stomping out of the room and slamming the door behind her. She walked back to her room and sat back down near the window, looking out sadly.

"Why did I have to be born under the Evergreen name?" She sighed, talking to no one, although she felt certain someone out there could here, "I hate this. Being locked up in this tower. It's like a muggle princess movie."

Her gaze flickered to the small box on her table. She stood up abruptly and walked over to it, glaring furiously. Violet picked it up and opened it angrily, looking inside.

All that was left of her father.

A necklace, a mirror, and a map.

"Such useless things.. What was Dad thinking, leaving his daughter these?" She said, sitting down on the stool and staring at it as if it held the secret to get her out of here.

Suddenly, she slammed the wooden box down on the table, huffing angrily and standing up, glaring at the box, like it had caused all of this.

"Maybe if Dad was here then I wouldn't be in this mess.."

She glanced at the window, calculating her chances of dying if she jumped out, and then shook her head, leaving the room with a final glare at the small box.

*~*~*

Violet sat down at the table, drinking her tea in silence next to her mother.

"Mum? Do you like being.." She had to force the word out, "considered evil?"

"Well it's not so bad once you get used to it," Her mother said, choosing her words carefully, so that she didn't make her daughter even more reluctant.

"What do you mean by that?"

"It's weird at first, people cowering in fright at the mention of your name, or begging you to not kill them. But when this happens, you know you have power," She said in a hushed tone, smiling wickedly.

Violet nodded and let out a breath.

"I don't feel like I have power. Especially since I have bars on my window," She said, sounding thoroughly annoyed.

Her mother shook her head with a smile.

"You always can make me laugh," She cooed, pinching Violet's cheeks and then stalking off, teacup full of tea in hand.

Violet touched her cheeks, muttering a small 'ow'.

She stood up from the seat, grabbed her teacup, and went outside to the backyard, sitting down on a bench and slouching.

Her mother's voice rang through her head.

'Rule #5. Never slouch.'

Violet smiled, thinking of the memory when her mother had announced all of those rules that Violet only remembered, because her mother made her do flash cards until she memorized them.

"You gotta love her," Violet sighed, standing up and going back inside, feeling better after a bit of fresh air.

She stalked up to her room and sat down, when she heard a faint mew. Violet looked down and gaped at the small creature in front of her. (Picture above).

Violet picked it up and laughed shakily, taking a small, neon pink sticky note off the kitten's fur.

Violet,

I thought you could use a companion.

Mum

Violet smiled and hugged the small cat.

"I'm gonna name you.. Kiwi."

The kitten meowed again. Violet hugged Kiwi to her chest, and stood up to go take a nap. She laid in her bed, Kiwi next to her and warming her cheek with his fur.

"I feel better already," She said with a laugh.

Kiwi meowed and she felt something wet on her cheek.

"Oh! Gross! He licked me!" She said, but had a grin on her face.

Violet closed her eyes, and easily fell asleep, telling herself that she would wake up in two hours, and, if she didn't, hoping that Kiwi would somehow get her out of bed.

*~*~*