The Negotiations

“It was a nice trick, you know. You had almost fooled me again by feeding me that brilliant heart-breaking story. You know, it was all too obvious about the deception when I noticed that the enslaved duo never used any harsh words or much pained expression when they narrated their story. The only unexpected person was Clara and she, I must admit, was one unique actress. I would have believed all your lies if you had the ability to lie so well. Also, the Guardian was a big help too.” Mandarin revealed. I knew that there were enough secrets in his heart that it could fill an ocean.

Mandarin, then, turned to Elisan, his strategy-general, and said, “You are an excellent strategist. I could surely use your help. In fact, I could use all of you. You could be the captains of the entire island and will control a part of the empire. That is what all of you want, don’t you? Power and control is all you desire. Join me and you won’t have to struggle for your life against me.” Mandarin noticed that their faces showed one singular expression: Hatred. And then, Mandarin said, “You would all be above D’nimo, or should I say, above his dead body!” It was a high risk Mandarin had taken but he knew that he would certainly get a response. He was not disappointed.

Gasps and screams of anger filled the room as all the hostages tried to deny his death. Mandarin was very much tempted to ask the reason for this affection towards D’nimo but he did not waste his lucky offer. He offered in a disinterested voice, “I found out about his treachery and was going to punish him when I realized that a death spell was too mild. So I have put on him a death spell that will kill him slowly in five weeks. The effects don’t show until the end of the fourth week, which, fortunately is today. From today, the irreparable damage will begin. You seem to care about him so here is your chance to prove it. Give me something worth saving D’nimo!” The threat was well played. Mandarin was, to my horror, willing to make D’nimo suffer to make his story true.

They all looked at him in disgust and then looked at each other. None of them, except Elisan, showed any doubt about the lie behind Mandarin’s words. Unwilling to waste any time, Mandarin separated Elisan from the rest. Everyone looked panic-stricken as they realized that they had given away too much information already. Mandarin positioned all the remaining four at a distance and soon they were all tied with four ropes from the ceiling of the house. Elisan looked in fear as he saw that the floor beneath them turned into a trapdoor. Then he noticed the exact position of the ropes: The ropes were around their necks. His face was completely scared as he contemplated their potential deaths.

“Since D’nimo alone was not worth the trouble, all of you are in trouble also. I will select one of you randomly to offer me a deal. The least convincing one dies.” Then he turned to Henry and asked him his offer. He offered the location of the Cavern of Time. Mandarin’s eyes shined as others scolded him for making such an unmatchable offer. Then he turned to Clara and asked her offer. She offered her knowledge and secrets she knew. She seemed to have realized the initial feelings of Mandarin towards her and so she also offered to become her Dark Lady. Mandarin smiled but I knew that this was a sarcastic one. A knife through his heart was all she could offer to him.

Others, especially John, looked at her in shock and resentment. Her only defence was that she had to make a better offer than Henry. He was looking at Clara when she abruptly began to turn unrecognizable. Realizing that someone was changing her identity, he instantly casted a spell, to others’ surprise, to stop the spell. The spell broke off in between and Mandarin heard someone run away using magic. He simply feigned a sigh, “Too bad but I wish I had checked the place carefully. Then I would also have access to ‘Elder’!” Everyone gasped and all their faces showed shock.

Mandarin realized the true effect of the spell as he looked at them again. He was able to take note of their physical features properly. At other times, he had never been able to notice them carefully, except Clara, who was probably unprotected at the time of their meeting.