Lasseter began walking toward the threshold to the back room, his boots sounding heavily on the hollow floor. He stopped short of the threshold, however, and turned back.

"You may trust these men more than your closest friends. Your life to them is more precious than their own."

So saying, he left the room, leaving Skylar alone on a foreign planet with three utter strangers.

Krom walked over to the table and invited Skylar to take a seat. Despite Skylar's exhaustion, he felt he couldn't possibly sleep until he discovered the reason for the Trackers, and why Lasseter had made him flee Haladras, and why these men treated with such diffidence. He gladly accepted the chair, for his legs and feet ached from their journey. Grim offered him some cheese and a piece of stale bread. These he ate hungrily, but without relish. When he had finished the meager repast, Krom began to speak. His voice was deep and full of that subtle magic which enthralls its listeners.

"Your story begins a lifetime ago, on a planet you only know by name, and with a man whose greatness shall ever be remembered. That place is Ahlderon and that man was King Athylian, of the House Ducädese.

"Long ago, before Athylian was king, he befriended a boy. That boy's name was Tarus. They were both just young lads in those days. Horseplay, sword fighting, fishing, and running through the forest were all they lived for. The pair were great friends and were rarely found apart.

"But as boys do, they grew older. No longer did they play as they had as boys. Still, hunting, sword fighting, and occasionally some fair damsel brought them together and kept their friendship alive. Increasingly, however, Athylian's responsibilities as future king of the empire kept him preoccupied. Often, Athylian's father, King Yurik would request his presence during council sessions, public hearings, or diplomatic affairs, which took him to some distant part of the empire.

"Whilst the young prince grew in wisdom, learning and stature, Tarus grew in corruption and vice. It was during one of Athylian's extended departures with his father that Tarus, lonely and feeling self-pity, took up with a new set of friends. This little band of friends possessed few virtues, but many faults. An indolent group they were, seldom found engaged in wholesome labor. Pleasure-seekers to the core, they felt most at home in the tavern than anywhere else. And Tarus quickly sank into their debauchery.

"Tarus endeavored to conceal his newfound friends and way of life from Athylian. But darkness can never hide from light. Though it broke Athylian's heart to see what Tarus was becoming, he refused to abandon his boyhood companion. Every chance afforded him, Athylian would take Tarus out hunting, or bring him to the castle to practice fencing.

"On his eighteenth birthday, Athylian began preparations to enter the University of Strybrn―there to complete his formal education. Fearful that Tarus would sink to old habits while he was away, Athylian implored his father to send Tarus with him.

"Knowing something of Tarus' reputation, King Yurik at first denied his son's request. Athylian pressed him, though, expressing his desire to help his friend. In the end, his father relented, for he saw that his son's heart was in the right place. No graver mistake did King Yurik ever make.

"During their first year at the university together the bond of friendship between Athylian and Tarus seemed to grow strong again. In their second year, a fellow student by the name of Morvin Athl made repeated overtures of friendship to the pair. Morvin was a peculiar individual and Athylian―who could find virtue in any man―distrusted him from the start.

"Tarus, however, was enchanted by Morvin, who possessed a fine tongue and used much flattery. Tarus kept company with Morvin more and more. And though this displeased Athylian, never did he confront Tarus about it, but maintained his unwavering friendship.