Keep It

"You had diamonds in your eyes when you were smiling. Even pretty when you're crying." The song 'Like You Ain't Even Gone' by Florida Georgia Line played for my alarm in the morning, waking me up. I picked up the phone and the brightness burned my eyes and shut off the alarm. I rolled out of bed and I grabbed a pair of work jeans and a white shirt and put them on. I walked into the bathroom and washed my face and teeth. I looked outside the window and the sun was rising and the pretty pink sky lighted up my morning. I went to the door and slipped on my boots and I walked out to the chicken coop, I picked whatever eggs there was and brought it back to the house. Then I walked back to the barn and grabbed the chicken feed and put it in the bucket, which drew the horses over to me. I walked back to the coop and started spreading the feed around.

Next job was to bring the cows up into the barn so I could milk them. I jumped on the four wheeler and rounded the three cows to the barn, I've always hated cows, for some odd reason. I parked the four wheeler and I walked into the barn and grabbed the stool and the bucket, and I started milking the first cow. When I was done milking I let the cows loose and put the milk through the processor and my mom would do the rest. I still feel a little groggy from waking up and I knew what would wake me up. I took off my boots and I walked over to my mom's horse Ginger. When I was in high school I would always run with her, to keep me in shape. "Ginger!" I said and whistled, trying to get her attention. "C'mon girl! C'mon Ginger!" I said and she started walking towards me. "That's it." I said and placed my hand on her forehead. "Let's run." I said and I exploded and started running along the fence. She didn't go right away, but then she did. I ran as fast as I could and she looked like she wasn't even trying hard.

I felt so much refreshed after the run and after we were done I refilled the water bin for the horses, then my work in the morning was done. I came into the house at 7:13, good time. Momma already had waffles and sausage waiting for me. I sat down at the table and she grabbed my hands and we said grace together. "Are you going to practice with Nala this morning?" She asked me.

"Yes, I'm gonna go to Missy's.. But they have been running Nala and Jasper right?" I ask after I swallow my food and take a sip of my orange juice.

"Yes, four times a week." She said. Missy's family is known for their horse training, with my dad and Darrel's help that's why Nala is such a star. When I finished my breakfast I cleaned my dish and then I said goodbye to momma and I saddled up Nala and grabbed her bridal rope and started directing her to Missy's house. She didn't live too far from me, but I made sure to walk Nala there.

After a thirty minuet walk there I was at the end of her driveway and I saw her dad grooming the dirt for me and I smiled to myself. I walked to the arena and Darrel said,"What took ya so long." With a teasing smirk on his face.

"Where's Missy?" I ask looking around.

"She and Braxton went to the stadium already to help clean it up." He said while giving Nala a little scratch on her butt. "So I guess it's just us three." He smiled and I grabbed the saddle horn and stuck my foot in the stirrup in the saddle and brought myself in the seat. "Okay just see what she does first, then we'll fix the details." He said and I nodded. I backed her up until she was out of the arena and then I kicked her and she bolted. I made her go to the left barrel first, she cleared it, but we were a little off, then she went to the right one and that was pretty good, then to the furthest one, and she cleared it and then I kicked her again and she sprinted back out of the arena.

£££££££££££££££££

Darrel helped us go back how we used to be, since its been a whole since the last we rode. Darrel said this would be the final run of the morning. I waited until Nala settled down a little then I said,"C'mon girl." And kicked her side and she exploded, and I knew this was going to be a good run. She perfectly turned the first one, and the next barrel, but the last one she nicked a little bit, but it didn't fall. I kicked her harder,"C'mon babe." I said to her and she kicked it into gear. I ran past Darrel and I saw him stop his stopwatch. I slowly walked Nala back to him.
"13.7 , very good." He said and patted Nala.