Chapter 7

Levy's P.O.V

Seeing as it was picture day at school, Lucy begged me to do her makeup and hair. After a few minutes of incessant dispute, she made a deal to do mine as well.

...oOo...

Third period was when we'd take pictures. As I had sat completely engrossed in my book for the past ten minutes, I jumped in my seat when I heard my name over the intercom.

"Ms. McGarden," the secretary spoke in a nasal tone, "please report to Principal Krab's office immediately." Followed by a few sneers, I unsurely stood from my seat and opened the door.

...oOo...

"You're under arrest," a burly shark grabbed my hands and locked them in steel cuffs. Principal Krab's look of disappointment and body language gave me a very uneasy feeling I had done something wrong.

"What did I do?! Stop, you're hurting me!" I struggled to break the painful chains. The shark paused and craned his neck to face me.

Through his black hair, his eyes were bitter and flowering with hatred. He looked like he was swallowing poison just at the concept of responding to me. The guard mirrored his body with mine and shattered the comfortable space between us, placing his mouth just before my ear.

"If you don't cooperate, you'll feel a lot more pain," his hot breath shuddered throughout me. I could hear him smirk, but I didn't predict the sheer fist pounding into my side. Unbearable pain rushed in my body, taking all of my will to not scream. "Got it?" I reluctantly nodded with a muted whimper, tears on the brink of spilling. "At least murderous scum like you have enough brain to hold your tongue."

"Murderous? I've never killed anything in my life! Maybe they have the wrong person," I pondered.

"It takes a lot of nerve to lie to a royal official, considering you admitted to killing the late King. Something this severe might earn you the death penalty," he spoke scarily calmly. My breathing hitched. "But," he continued, "it's too early to tell how this will all pan out for you, my darling," he ruffled his fingers through my hair with a maniacal grin.

"Does this lunatic think I killed the King? How am I going to explain myself?" We began to approach the palace. "Maybe Gajeel can help!" A wave of relief swept over me at the thought of Gajeel's protective arms wrapped around my body. It would soon be replaced with utter terror as I am tossed into a prison cell and chained to the stone wall.

...oOo...

I had managed to fall asleep with my arms dangling above my head, and my tail strangled in a cuff. It hurt like heck, but I must've been so emotionally and physically exhausted that I blacked out. A piercing light suddenly blinded my unacquainted eyes, with the creak from the iron door alerting me of another's presence. Seconds later, my vision had adjusted to depict Gajeel peering down with hurt and disgust.

"Gajeel! Thank goodness!" I gasped happily. My reaction perplexed him.

"Zeref, you may exit," he ordered. I recognized the shark instantaneously; He was the guard who had escorted me. The cold stone was digging into my skin, preventing me from escaping his uncomfortable glare.

"As you wish, My Lord." Zeref glanced at me once more with a hint of a smirk and left the room. I shuddered. Gajeel was too busy boring holes into the wall with his eyes to notice my uneasy state. If only escaping were that simple.

"Why?" His deep voice sounded in the dead-silent chamber. I was so concentrated on his shaking body that I forgot to respond. Whether it was shaking from fear or pent up rage, it was shaking nonetheless - and I was horrified. "HOW COULD YOU KILL MY FATHER?" He thrashed to face me, his stance so menacing he could've lashed out at any moment.

"I-I didn't! You saw me; I was with you the entire night!" I strained to cry out with equal volume. Gajeel's expression softened.

Gajeel's P.O.V

It pained me to see Levy in such a state. She was covered in bruises, her eyes bloodshot and puffy from crying. My eyes fell to the glinting bracelet on her wrist.

"You specifically told me yesterday that you poisoned my father, the King, at the Mermaid Ball. You're a horrible liar, Levy. When you confessed to me by the boat, you sure as heck weren't lying."

"I can't even recall meeting you by the boat yesterday! I was with Lucy - just ask her!" She pleaded, her voice choking sobs.

"She isn't lying; How can she be telling the truth for different sides of the story?"

"You've lost my trust, Levy McGarden. From this moment on, I'm Lord Redfox to you." Despite the guilt and uncertain feelings, I prayed that this harsh choice would be for the best. I left her devastated expression in the dark as I closed and locked the cell.

As I rounded the corner with my head in hands, Zeref appeared with a smug grin.

"My Lord," he bowed, "What did the girl tell you?"

"She's denying it," I replied flatly.

"I figured. However, her input doesn't matter anymore; We have confirmed proof that she is the culprit." Zeref's eyes twinkled with delight. "Shall we order the death sentence?"

"It's too early to make such a bold move, Zeref. Wait a little longer," I sighed, now heading to my bedroom to sort things in my head.

"Wait? For what? For her to make an excuse good enough to convince the jury? Think of your father - "

"Zeref!" My voice grew, body pivoting to face him.

"You've been blinded by your feelings, My Lord! How can you love such a repulsive weasel?"

"ENOUGH!" A stinging slap echoed throughout the quadrant of the castle. Zeref's cheek turned pink, and his head cautiously turned to meet my eyes.

"My sincere apologies," he muttered, prior to bowing and sauntering down the hall.