Chapter 10: Grazed Collarbones

The scar on my collarbones from where the blade of your knife grazed my skin is still there. It will forever be unhealed--untouched--as my hands are literally tied together. The wound has scabbed over now, and I know for a fact that you have a nearly identical scar on your abdomen from where I got you back.

When you fight Alex, you become a completely different person--or so I used to think you did. It appears that the ruthless Alex that nearly slit my throat open was the real Alex. The true Alex.

There's a thin line in life that separates who you are, and what you can become. It's imaginary, it can be fictitious, but I believe that it exists.

And you, Mister Gaskarth, crossed that line long ago.

~

"Come on, Lia! Think about what you're going to do next before you even try to attack me!" Alex scolded as I tumbled to the ground in one big defeated heap. He had moved quicker than I had anticipated, and my attack had blown up in my face. I scowled and remained on the ground, exhausted.

To buy myself some break time, I started to wipe the the dirt off my face with my sweaty palms.

"I'm trying you know! It's not easy to think when you're yelling at me every time I do something wrong!" I snapped moodily, cracking my knuckles in a hot temper. Alex just shook his head disappointingly while somewhere in the background, Jack could be heard munching on an apple.

"Get up." Alex ordered, not bothering to ask me if I was okay. It was like the real Alex was unreachable. I didn't like it one bit.

I was furious, sweaty, and extremely pissed off. Alex's teaching skills were--only one word to describe it--vicious, and the only way to learn was apparently to fail until I could succeed. My auburn hair was nearly damp from my sweat, I was bruised and battered from being thrown around like a rag doll, and to make matters even worse, Alex was barely breaking a sweat.

Yes, that arrogant, cocky, somersaulting, big-headed brunette was--no doubt about it--kicking my ass. My ass. Me, Amelia Wicker, who took down two mutated tigers, couldn't take down Alex because he was a fucking ninja of some sort.

"Yo, Alex, you should cut Lia a little slack, I mean--she's trying." Jack hollered from the rock he was perched upon. I turned my head in his direction and he gave me an enthusiastic wave before lifting Kasper's paw to mimic his action. I rolled my eyes and lifted myself off the ground, rolling my head on my shoulders and putting my fists up.

"Let's go again, shall we?" I huffed, already on my toes. Alex just gave me this extremely irritating grin and nodded, not even bothering to raise a fist. We circled each other before I decided to strike, using my left fist to aim for his right shoulder. He caught my arm in his hand, twisting it viciously before flipping me onto my back. I groaned and he leaned down, his face so close I could count his eyelashes. "Predictable." he sang, and in response, I punched him in the crotch.

He cursed loudly and stumbled back, his eyes nearly watering in pain. I suppose guys just couldn't take a beating in the balls. Not wanting to miss my opportunity, I jumped back up and kicked him in the chest before dropping to to the ground and making a dive for his ankle. Unfortunately, he had recovered pretty quickly, and he stood on my hand, making me cry out.

"That fucking hurt!" I wailed, cradling my hand close to my body as Alex stared down at me, his eyes confused. "Are you alright? C'mere and let me--" but I cut him off with a punch in the face with my uninjured hand. "Sike." I said apathetically, standing up as Alex fell down, blood dripping from his nose.