43//Just Friends

Don't ever normally update this late, but who's gonna stop me?

__________

Chapter 43

(Eve's POV)

Friends - Ed Sheeran

"To Eve winning her first ever case!" Parker cheers, lifting up his glass. His friends around him lift up their glasses as well, all their attention on me. Heat rises to my cheeks and I lift my glass and knock it against Parker's.

"It was the both of us," I say, sitting back against the bar, taking a sip of my Diamond Margarita.

"Yeah, well I couldn't have won it without you."

I smile at Parker, and he just bites his bottom lip. As attractive as the sight is, I force myself to look away, somehow feeling guilty every time I lay my eyes on Parker. Ever since a week ago, when Zayn and I had the friend talk and he found out about Parker and I, spending time with Parker seemed like a chore. Zayn, however, hasn't been spending any time with me. Not that I mind, though, he has his mother to take care of and I had this case going on. But now that it's finished, we're right on track.

Parker invited many of his friends to come celebrate at the best local club here in California, and to say I was uncomfortable was an understatement. Not that they were mean, they were incredibly friendly people, but it's just that I didn't really know any of them. So I did have to take precautionary measures.

"Did you invite anyone?" Parker asks, knocking me out of my train of thought.

"Yes, I did."

"Who?"

I take a deep breath before saying, "Zayn."

He furrows his eyebrows. "Your ex?"

"Yeah . . . He was in town so I thought-"

"Of course," Parker interrupts. "It's no big deal, you can invite who you want. I just thought you'd find it a little awkward, considering the fact that you two broke up. You know?"

"I know," I tell him, very aware of the fact that we're not together anymore. "But it's fine because we're friends."

He looks at me for a little too long before finally saying, "okay. Uh, any idea about when he's coming?"

It was as if right when he said that, Zayn's voice called out from somewhere in the crowd of dancing bodies. "Evelyn!"

I couldn't help but grin, hopping off my seat. "By the bar!"

Not even a few seconds later, Zayn emerged from the crowd, undeniably looking more radiant than everyone in the club. When he sees me, a grin of his own spread across his lips and he rushes up to me, engulfing me into a tight embrace.

"Congratulations on the case, Evelyn," he mumbles into my hair.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I hold him tighter. "Thank you."

I know he is proud of me because when I told him that I won over the phone, he got crazy excited. When I invited him over to celebrate, he didn't even hesitate to say yes. And now that he's here, even a strange club in California seemed like home.

It was when Parker cleared his throat rather loudly when I remembered where we were.

Zayn pulled away from me and looked over at Parker, noticeably clenching his jaw. An amused smirk rises on Parker's face, and all I do is brace for impact.

"Zayn, long time no see," Parker says, extending his hand towards Zayn.

Zayn doesn't shake it, instead he pushes past him and says, "not long enough."