Five

Derek's POV

I found the strength to rise to my feet and run to the door that I knew my mate was suffering behind. I grabbed hold of the metal, rounded knob, twisted it, and pushed the door open forcefully. My eyes flew around the room, cream walls that complimented a black dot specked marble floor caught my sight first. There were multiple beds around, similar to the ones in the room I was staying in. The moans of pain brought my eyes to one particular, white sheeted, bed.

My mate was curled in the fatal position, her eyes looking at me asking, no begging, me to help. I just stared at her, my wolf was yelling at me to go to her, but I was too shocked when realization had hit me. My mate was shifting, not into her demon, into a werewolf. Wait, a werewolf? I was so confused and shocked I couldn't force my feet to move, they were glued to the floor at that moment.

Her eyes squeezed shut tightly and cracking noises were emanating from her frail figure. I watched in excitement as fur sprouted from every visible part of her body, the first shift was always the worst but I've never seen one before, as an alpha that's embarrassing, but it's the truth.

Soon a full wolf was lying on the bed, the same emerald eyes, just more intense, looked at me. Her head cocked to the side as if asking what had gone on and she gasped, as much of a gasp as a wolf could muster, when a growl formed on her lips. She looked confused and I watched as she brought a paw up to her fur coated forehead and yelped when she didn't see her hand. Her head looked down over her body and she hurriedly jumped up, landing on all fours on the bed.

I watched in amazement as her golden, black tipped fur rippled when she jumped. She sauntered over to a mirror to inspect her new form. She seemed to be really calm about all of is, or she was really good at hiding her emotions, or she already knew. I felt like saying something, comforting her in some way. "And this would be your wolf, Avalon,"

Something changed in Avalon's expression, she shifted into her human and looked as if she was trying to shift into something else. I realized she was trying to shift into her demon. I watched with curiosity until tears filled her beautiful eyes, she couldn't shift. I ran to her and cradled her in my arms. It was relaxing until I felt to small hands push at my chest, forcing me to back up. "This is your fault," she accused me.

"No, I didn't-," I got cut off by more of her words.

"Everything was fine, you should've just let them kill me, I would've at least died with my demon, but no, my wolf pushed her away. My master is dead, I'm no longer a demon, I'm supposedly your mate and I definitely don't want to be. I'm a freaking werewolf now and I don't understand any of this shit. I'm only nineteen for Christ sakes!" She yelled at me.

"I wouldn't be able to kill you! Hell, I couldn't kill you even if I wanted to. I'm sorry about your demon and I was only fifteen when I first shifted!" I cried back, her next question took me off guard.

"How old are you now?" She asked, curiosity sparkling clearly in her eyes.

"I'm twenty one," I sighed, confused beyond belief.

"Well, Derek, I'm sorry but I don't want this life," she told me, taking me off guard yet again.

"You don't what?" My voice cracked as my heart ached from the words leaving my other parts lips.

"I'm sorry," she paused before continuing," I, Avalon Hudson, reject you, Derek Smith, as my mate,".

Avalon's POV

The pain was excruciating, filling my body with even more hurt than when I first shifted. My heart felt like it was being scooped out with a scalpel, then walked on in six inch high heels. I imagined this pain, but ten times worse, for Derek. I watched him with tear filled eyes as he sank to his knees, curling himself in a ball and crying.

My wolf was howling at me, occasionally yelling at me for being so inconsiderate. Suddenly the pain intensified. My eyes bugged out of my head with each stab and I sunk to my knees as well. Down here I could hear Derek whispering "no,no,no" over and over again, asking himself if it was just a dream. I whimpered, rolled on to my side, and brought my knees to my chin. Tears fell down my cheeks and I swatted at them as best I could.

I had never felt anything like this before, it was horrible, flashes of all of my happy memories entered my mind, along with my wolf saying I could've made more if I hadn't done what I had. I cried, trying to stay silent, it was obvious Derek didn't care if anyone heard him or not, he just kept wailing. What have I done? Am I going to regret this?

My thoughts were blocked out by the sound of movement. I looked up through my tears to find Derek standing. He somehow collected himself again and was looking at me, hurt evident in his features. I continued to let the tears stream down. More pain registered in my system as I took in the words he'd just said to me. "I, Derek Smith, accept your rejection, Avalon Hudson." And with that he walked out of the room, his hands at his heart, leaving me in a heap of tears on the floor.