PART 24: Withering lies

Start from the beginning

"Avery, I'm sorry-"

"You promised to call me every single day, you said you loved me!" I screamed.

"I was fourteen!" he yelled back.

"And that means you didn't love me?!"

"Wh-what?! NO! That means that just like they made sure I was taken three thousand states away, they also made sure that I had no cellphone, no internet and no fucking friends! I was even homeschooled so that I couldn't get out of the house. There was nothing I could do! But of course I loved you!" he shouted.

Of course I loved you.

These words pierced my soul and body. Three years later they still had the same effect on me.

"You could find a way out," I said.

"No, I couldn't! Avery, trust me, I was dying every day away from you and Ali but there was nothing I could do!"

Seeing him so hurt made my stomach stir unhappily. 

"I..." I muttered. 

"You?" he asked. 

"I missed you so much..."  

"You have no idea," he mumbled through clenched teeth and pulled me into a tight hug. 

A wave of heat was jolted down my body and I shuddered under his touch.  

Yes, three years later he still had that effect on me.  

"Let go," I sighed. 

"I don't want to," he replied. 

"You have to, Tristan." 

"I always loved the way you made my name sound." 

"No, you don't understand-" 

"Why don't we just get some sleep?" 

"Together?!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah," he replied. 

I hesitated.

"Like we did when we were younger," he said, pressing the wrong button of my tar black soul, as I felt my mind ache at the memories. 

I slipped into my Bambi pyjamas (childish, I know) and got under the covers. Tristan and Ali had left after a very long day and I was exhausted. I was almost asleep when I heard a knock on the window. At first I freaked out but then I heard his voice.

"Avery! Avery!" he whispered-yelled.

I stood up sighing in relief and opened the window quietly. 

His black-haired head popped in, giving me a huge, playful grin which not only reached his eyes but crawled past his ocean blue eyes. 

"Dammit Tristan! I was getting ready to die or get raped or kidnapped here!" I complained. 

He chuckled. "I apologize lady Skittle-babe," he said bowing.

I slapped his shoulder playfully.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"I wanted to sleep next to you," he replied and his lips twiched up, forming a small smirk. 

"Next to me or with me?" I provoked folding my arms across my chest. 

He walked behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.