Prologue

Hello loves! Okay so basically this is a story about Katherine and Damon after Katherine wakes up human. WARNING: if you cherish Elena I suggest you not read this. Thanks to all my lovelies who read! Please leave a comment and let me know what you think!!

Much love!
xxx
---
"Now I'm haunted by dreams of you. And all of the things that we've been through. I'm sorry is nothing new. I'm haunted by dreams of you." - 'Haunted' by The Cribs
---

Katherine choked, sputtering and coughing as she struggled to draw in a clear breath.. She was dying. She was sure of it..

The pain..she felt it pulsating throughout her entire body. It was as if every atom, every cell was being lit on fire.

She screamed, her sounds of agony drowned out by the pounding in her ears..

She could feel it. She could feel her vampirism being ripped away from her, feel her tissue being stripped of its immortal properties, replaced by inferior mortal flesh and dna.

She was becoming human.

And as if that weren't bad enough..

She was being filled with new magic. The cure was seeping into her brain, stirring up memories it had no right to. It was breaking down her walls, demolishing them and sending forgotten feelings and emotions rising to the surface like crashing waves, scenes and glimpses of her long, tragic life flashing before her eyes.

It was like a slow torture. A sick, twisted punishment for every evil she'd ever done as she relived the most painful experiences of her past.

She saw her mama's loving smile, felt as her warm lips pressed onto her forehead..a tear slipped down her cheek, a whimper escaping her trembling mouth when she was ripped away into another memory.

She saw rose, followed by her own, lifeless body hanging from the scaffolding of that little cottage..she saw the first murder she'd ever committed, the deceit in her bloodshot eyes.

She sobbed, her nails digging and scratching at the marble floor as she yearned for it to be over. She wished she was dying.

But then it all just seemed to stop. Memories of onyx curls, games, stolen kisses and pale blue irises flooding her mind's eye.

Damon

She searched her mind, hoping to catch even just a glimpse of Stefan but she was only met with Damon. The man unable to be ejected from her thoughts..he was all she could think of.

She could see him beaming down at her, his face glowing with unconditional love and adoration. She could feel his strong, dangerous hands cupping her cheeks, she could hear his voice ringing in her ears, sweet words echoing around in her head.

She heard him promising to chase her wherever she ran, offering her his heart on a silver platter, she heard his desperate pleas for mercy on her behalf.

She gasped, her lungs constricting with a deep heartache brought on by the memories of the eldest Salvatore.

'You don't get a goodbye.'

She felt her eyes water at the bitter words, her heart swelling at the harsh contrast between them and the loving promises of forever he'd once offered, a lifetime ago..

'Enjoy eternity alone Katherine.'

That was the last she could take. She cried. Tears spilling over and her now living heart racing in her chest as she convulsed, all the guilt of the world pouring into her as she screamed out the only thing in the world with a hope of comforting her..