Chapter 6

Evetta glanced around before she knocked on the service access door twice, paused and knocked one more time. If it weren't for Aaron, Evetta would never have known the panel in the wall was actually a doorway. She had learned more about the Disappearance in the past week than she had in the past two years.

Hanine was keeping watch to make sure no one else was nearby. She glanced at the tablet in her hand that monitored all the heat signatures within one hundred meters of them. She frowned when she saw two on the other side of the wall.

"Wait," Hanine hissed and looked at Evetta in warning. "There are two heat signatures."

Evetta smiled reassuringly at Hanine. "That is Ben's brother, Aaron. He knows all the access tunnels. He comes with Ben to make sure we do not get lost."

"Oh," Hanine said with a feeling of unease. "You didn't mention there were two aliens."

"Relax, Hanine. Aaron is very sweet as well. He is no threat," Evetta responded as the panel opened. "Come."

*.*.*

Evetta stepped through the hidden panel and straight into Ben's arms. She knew she should be used to it but she couldn't help the soft gasp that escaped her as his mouth hungrily covered hers. She felt his body shudder against hers before he released her when he heard Aaron's soft curse.

He started to pull Evetta behind him when he saw another figure step through the doorway before Aaron closed the panel. He paused when he felt Evetta's hand on his arm. His eyes narrowed on the slender figure of the other female.

"Oh shit!" Aaron whispered.

"Do not be alarmed," Evetta responded in a quiet voice. "This is my sister, Hanine. She will not betray us."

Ben returned the other female's sharp gaze with one of his own. He could see the surprise and shock in them as she took in his unusual features. With a nod, he tightly gripped Evetta's hand in his before he turned and headed down the narrow tunnel. It was only wide enough for one person. He took the lead, wanting to get Evetta to the safety of the lower decks before he asked her what was going on.

*.*.*

Hanine froze when she turned her head. Her gaze locked with a pair of dark brown eyes that were transfixed on her face. She watched as shock and dismay flashed across the young male's face. She tilted her chin defensively at his expression.

"I am Hanine," she stated.

"I know," the slender male replied in a hoarse voice. "You are supposed to be working. Your shift isn't over for another two hours."

Hanine jerked back in surprise. Frowning, she ran her eyes over the tall male. She had never seen him before, so how could he know who she was and when she worked?

"It was changed. How do you know when I am supposed to work?" She demanded.

A soft smile curved his lips before the whisper of his words touched her. "Can I keep you... Forever?"

"You? How? It was you?" Hanine whispered in voice colored with stunned awe.

She didn't move as his pale hand rose to touch her. She felt his warm fingers slide down over her cheek. A soft gasp escaped her at the tenderness of his touch.

"Your skin is just as soft as I imagined it would be," Aaron remarked in a thick voice.

Hanine's dazed eyes followed him when he turned away to follow her sister and his brother. She raised a shaky hand to touch her cheek. Her lips parted in confused wonder as he looked back over his shoulder. A small, boyish grin curved his lips before he turned back.