Chapter 13

I woke up with Austin sprawled across the bed besides me. He was holding me around the waist to keep me close to him in a way Harry never would.

His eyes fluttered open. He kissed my forehead, "Good morning."

Just then, there was a frantic and loud knock. I tried to ignore it while it blasted in the background. This person wasn't leaving until I answered the door. I could hear faint words being spoken with the knocks, but I couldn't make out what they were saying.

I reluctantly rolled around in Austin's arms and moved to the edge of the bed. I got up not caring about Austin right there and grabbed some underwear. I put it on and pulled on Austin's shirt over my torso. I could see him smiling from the bed.

I walked out of my bedroom towards the door. I passed the living room before finally getting to the door. The knocks were a little spaced out now, but I could hear who and what the voice was saying. He was calling my name. Harry.

I smiled to myself thinking about last night. I latched the door and opened it to a concerned Harry. His eyes lit up in a way I'm sure mine did at one point. In his hand was my phone.

I quickly took it back hoping he couldn't guess my passcode. It was a word, a name. A name I was having a hard time avoiding.

I set my phone on the kitchen counter before walking back to the door. He was still standing there. "What do you want?" I asked leaning on the door.

"Amber," he said vulnerably. He cleared his throat and tried to hide the fact it had previously done so. "Can I come in? We need to talk."

I was about to tell Harry to leave when a pants-less Austin came out of the bedroom. "Are they gone yet?"

We locked eyes and a smile crossed my lips. "Over here babe," I said for Harry's 'benefit.' Austin walked behind me regardless of Harry watching us. His arms found their spot around my body.

I turned to look at Harry smiling when I saw it. Torn and destroyed. His eyes read that and horror and a feeling of lost all at the same time. My heart sank before I realized I wasn't associated with him in the least bit, and I never was.

"Amber..." If the last time he said my name was vulnerable, this was absolute devastation. "Amber. I..."

He didn't know what to say. Three brains and not one could find words.

Telling by the way Austin was clutching me tighter, I could tell he was annoyed by Harry's presence. "Whose this?" He asked.

Harry found words first. "I'm her boyfriend, Harry. The question is who are you." He words were fierce and seemed like he truly believed in what he said or wanted to be true at least.

Austin arm flexed around me as if he was stating I was his property.

"Don't listen to him. He's delusional," I said to Austin. I kept my eyes on Harry though. He was cracking. "And you. Boyfriend isn't in your vocabulary. I was never your girlfriend, and now I'll never be."

I went to shut the door when Harry's hand blocked the door. He was stronger. The door flew back creating a slight wind. "Is this what this is all about? I know you Amber! This isn't you! This whole situation you are putting yourself in is stupid! You know for a fact that we were dating! Look me in the eyes and tell me that you never felt anything for me! Go on, do it!"

Austin unlatched me from his grip only to step in front of me. He protectively put his hand on my stomach pushing me back. He looked back at me. "Is this the jerk who hurt you? Is he the reason why you were walking through the streets crying?"

I couldn't meet any of their stares. Harry here for his thoughts and problems with me, and Austin because I dragged him into this.

He took my silence as a yes. "Stay away from her. You heard her. She wants nothing to do with you," Austin spat at Harry.

I moved to close the door on Harry before I could change my mind and ran into his arms or something that would only hurt me more. Once I closed the door on him, I was sure he never would want anything to do with me again. I had to do it before I could reconsider.

I grabbed the door with both hands. I closed it just enough so my head could slip out. I moved my eyes to his. Tears threatened to spill onto his cheeks. I felt a stab of pain. No matter happened between us, I didn't want anything to end like this. It took one deep look into his eyes to see that.

Austin walked away; his footsteps growing fainter and fainter. With Austin gone, I could say everything I needed to say. I looked in his eyes like he instructed. I lowered my voice, so only Harry could hear, "I can't say I never loved you.... You have Lily. Everything is now more convenient for you. You get your ex girlfriend, and I move on."

This was the realization I made last night. He would be fine without me. I would always be that slut that sleeps around to hide her problems whether he was there or not.

He chose Lily. He chose her before he found out she was in town. He chose before he decided to go to her place to talk to her. He chose before they spent the night together. He didn't choose me. He never did.

A pang of pain hit my chest. I felt like crying or having arms around me to comfort me. But that's the thing __ I didn't know whether I wanted Austin's or Harry's.

Harry matched my light volume with his. "What if the ex I want is you?"

I now knew whose arms were to be around me, but everything was set. This was to make him happy.

Regardless of what he told me, Lily's message on my phone held the cold hard truth. He wanted her. I was giving him space to have what he wanted. If that meant I was to be empty, it was fine. If he was happy.

I closed my eyes. This was painful to even think about yet alone say out loud to be finalized. "You want Lily. That's fine. I'm happy you can get what you want."

I closed the door on him. Tears stung my eyes as they fell down. I couldn't handle this, but what choice was I given? Lose him now or later? What kind of options were those?

I stayed by the door to hear him go away. He cursed under his breath and walked away__taking my heart with him.

I was absolutely positive the fake strength would be transparent, but I had to try. For Harry.